What's Cooking?

ness

Mediterranean cuisine has a lot of olive oil, grapes, local seafood and olive oil.

White beans and spinach is a stretch. 

rps- As a self proclaimed foodie, why would you cook a meal for guests that has nothing to do with where you live?  Why wouldn't you cook a meal that showcases what MISSOURI has to offer? 

We have meat, vegetables, fruit, all grown here. Cook it brother, and ease up on other "ethnic" cuisines. We bend over backwards trying to replicate natural food from other countries, yet sometimes ignore our backyard.

(coffee chocolate european butter I get it . Still..)

Somewhere I read about a technique for sautéing mushrooms in a dry pan to get them to release their water. I've been doing it that way for a couple years now. Gets them nice and brown first, then you can add whatever liquid to deglaze. See the droplets of water forming?

IMG_4534.JPG

After they browned some I added in oil, dry thyme and cooked chicken and deglazed with some wine. Let that reduce, then added cream and reduced slightly. Added asiago cheese and then tossed the noodles in and warmed through. 

IMG_4535.JPG

John

Tasty looking Ness.  I had to go with my wife to spfld, apparently she had no more need for her galbladder so I got a chance to go by a sort of real grocery store.  Was in a hurry as she was in the car with AC running.  So i grabbed some stir fry steak, a bag of shrimp, yellow and green squash, broccoli and an eggplant.  The eggplant was not a good one but the rest was pretty good.  Have never been able to get the nice dry char on the veggies, always ends up soupy and wet, maybe I am not running it hot enough?

2017-09-14 18.28.38.jpg

2017-09-14 18.29.19.jpg

Somebody needs to open a clinic that offers gall bladder, tonsil, appendix, wisdom teeth and spleen removal all in an afternoon with a $25 co-pay. We could save  us billions! I'll take 1% commish for the idea 😄

I stir fry in small batches -- each ingredient done separately on high heat so it is right --then set  it aside. Toss it all back in together at the end to get it warmed back through, adding whatever sauce I'm using. And, I stir fry in a plain old non-stick skillet these days. Just works better than my round-bottomed steel wok does on my stove top. 

Try it, you'll like it!

John

I have that problem sometimes too.  Even thugh I often say I don't care either way aboit them either way, once I start cooking them in a little butter and cajun seasoning I keep eating them.  My wife will usually keep an eye on me to make sure I don't eat all HER mushrooms. Wishing for another warm rain to bring some more boletes up in my yard.

First time making this,

Sichuan Rabbit with peanuts. Did not have wild rabbits so subbed a couple domestic bunnies. Real easy dish and crazy good,

DSCF3306.JPG

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

My favorite dish at my favorite Chinese restaurant is Szechuan chicken. Wish I could figure out what all they've got in it. It's soy sauce, with garlic and maybe rice wine. Some red dried chiles for heat. 

What's in the version you made? 

John

10 hours ago, BilletHead said:

First time making this,

Sichuan Rabbit with peanuts. Did not have wild rabbits so subbed a couple domestic bunnies. Real easy dish and crazy good,

DSCF3306.JPG

BilletHead

If you followed Hank's recipe, I'm cerain that it is good☺!