What's Cooking?

ness

I made a batch from a recipe in Frank Stitt's cookbook, The Southern Table. Best stuff I've ever had. He calls in Miss Verba's Pimento Cheese after the staff member who makes it.

1 pound grated sharp yellow cheese

1/4 pound cream cheese

1 teaspoon ground white pepper

3 large red peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, chopped

1/2 cup hgh quality mayonaise

1 taspoon sugar

1 serious splash hot sauce

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Add all to a bowl and blend thoroughly. Refrigerate and serve chilled.

For grilled sandwiches, I would suggest putting the cheese on the bread cold and grilling the bread before the spread melts.

Hope that helps. :-)

1 hour ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Mix in some red wine:lol:

Chief???

The only real wine is from the iconic, world  renowned vineyards of Boone's Farm!

And every sip should lovingly pass over the discerning pallet gingerly as if the sweet blooms of the flowers of the summer fruit are indeed alive. 

Not mixed with some poverty processed cheese spread incorporated with some egg/oil emultion that has some type of red toned garden pepper, smeared on day old bread from the pantry. 

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

1 hour ago, ness said:

I love pimiento cheese, and somebody posted a while back about grilled pimiento cheese sandwiches, which I thought sounded delicious. 

Well, I set about making my own pimiento cheese and grilling it. Doesn’t that sound and look delicious???

99182B95-AE44-4829-9047-614F619267FF.jpeg

Well, that’s the second plate—I wanted this to look as good as it would surely taste. Here’s the first plate: 

E4DD1C7E-86FB-4E8B-A77B-53B92B27DF4C.jpeg

The pimiento cheese was simply mayo, cheese and pimentos. It needed something, so I added some salt, more pimiento and some Dijon. Here’s the end result:

869BC078-675C-40A5-8F74-A5D130CE29D6.jpeg

Anybody got a fix for this disaster?

I asked earlier but I guess it didn't post, what type of cheese did you use?

Chief Grey Bear

So, the local mega mart had lobster tails on sale and I’ve had an itch for Newburg. I picked up a couple small ones:

DB1A8E44-7628-49EA-A5E1-B014439186F8.jpeg

I cut them in half and left them to finish thawing on the counter while I got a couple things done upstairs. I noticed Ruby was missing,  so I called for her...to no avail....which is never good. So I hollered for her, and she ran up the steps to me. She was licking her lips. Oh, geez. Here’s what was left:

B1B766B8-CF45-465C-840E-60FF41EE2D6E.jpeg

For those keeping score, that’s about $8 worth of lobster gone—shell and all. 

So, the evidence was presented and she begged for mercy from the court. The sentencing was swift—an evening in the kennel without rations. 

D8FEEBDE-AC5F-4337-8892-CE9E7628B3B8.jpeg

I made do with what I had, and it was delicious, though meager. 

0D603CF0-0F1E-4C48-94D0-86AD42574034.jpeg

Lobster cooked in butter, then set aside. Add sherry to butter and reduce. Add cream and bring to temp, but don’t boil. Off the fire, whisk in an egg yolk and heat through on low heat. Add back lobster and bring to temp. Serve over buttered toast. 

I’ve got some leftover pizza I’ll eat later. 

John

1 minute ago, Chief Grey Bear said:

I asked earlier but I guess it didn't post, what type of cheese did you use?

Sharp cheddar

John

59 minutes ago, rps said:

I made a batch from a recipe in Frank Stitt's cookbook, The Southern Table. Best stuff I've ever had. He calls in Miss Verba's Pimento Cheese after the staff member who makes it.

1 pound grated sharp yellow cheese

1/4 pound cream cheese

1 teaspoon ground white pepper

3 large red peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, chopped

1/2 cup hgh quality mayonaise

1 taspoon sugar

1 serious splash hot sauce

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Add all to a bowl and blend thoroughly. Refrigerate and serve chilled.

For grilled sandwiches, I would suggest putting the cheese on the bread cold and grilling the bread before the spread melts.

Hope that helps. :-)

I saw cream cheese in some recipes, and bought some to add. Didn’t think it tasted good enough to waste the cream cheese, so I trudged forward without.

That recipe sounds good.

My store used to carry Price’s brand, which was very good. Now it’s just Haulty, which isn’t as good. My try sucked. 

John

47 minutes ago, ness said:

I saw cream cheese in some recipes, and bought some to add. Didn’t think it tasted good enough to waste the cream cheese, so I trudged forward without.

That recipe sounds good.

My store used to carry Price’s brand, which was very good. Now it’s just Haulty, which isn’t as good. My try sucked. 

On a wild, exploratory, personal instinct note, I would also add a splash of Worcestershire sauce.

38 minutes ago, rps said:

On a wild, exploratory, personal instinct note, I would also add a splash of Worcestershire sauce.

I saw that in several recipes...

I just took the remaining cheese, some cream cheese and just a touch of mayo and mixed it together with pimiento. Much, much better than the mayo-Dijon version I made earlier. Just winging it, but pretty good. 

John

I've had it both ways. That ol soupy sloppy stuff you get at the store. Which really I guess ain't really soupy, it just sorta looks that way. And I like it. 

And ive done the homade stuff that like Rick is mentioning, just barely spreadable. Ive made a few batches. Some I like and some I feed to the chickens. They're not near as picky on some things as I am. 

But here's a funny for you. Of all the batches I've made, I think only one time did I ever put pimento's in it. I usually get a hankering and I have all the ingredients except those. 

Chief Grey Bear