What's Cooking?

ness

When I was in school, there was a guy whose dad was a rancher in western Kansas. He came back from a weekend home with a big jar full of testicles. They were floating in some cloudy liquid. I just couldn't make myself do it, but a few of the guys did. I did try them a couple years ago in Wyoming. Sliced, breaded and fried was a lot more appealing than the whole ones sloshing around in an unknown liquid.

John

Dr. Appointment today so I got to go to the big city.  Picked up a rotisserie chicken, some parsnips and carrots and amish potato salad.  Nothing home made unless you want to count the whop biscuits I am making to go with it.  I mean I did open the can myself.  AND we did consume my tiny supply of 6 morels last night, so now I have no morels/morals.

45 minutes ago, ness said:

When I was in school, there was a guy whose dad was a rancher in western Kansas. He came back from a weekend home with a big jar full of testicles. They were floating in some cloudy liquid. I just couldn't make myself do it, but a few of the guys did. I did try them a couple years ago in Wyoming. Sliced, breaded and fried was a lot more appealing than the whole ones sloshing around in an unknown liquid.

Randall Reddinger was from Kansas as well. He came to Tulsa for college and became an accountant. He played for my Tulsa rugby team and became the A side hooker when I retired and started coaching. He married a delightful young lady, Betsy, who was also raised on a Kansas farm.When they married they held the reception in their home and many of the attendees were his rugby teammates.

One of the treats they wanted on the buffet were calf fries. They asked me to do the butchery and help bread and season the fries. They recruited his Mom as well and she did the frying. That day I thin sliced, seasoned, and breaded a five gallon bucket of calf testicles. His mother used an outdoor fryer to cook them and the guests, my rugby players and people from ranch country, demolished them.

Randall passed last year. They found him dead of a heart attack in his garage. One of my boys from the team traveled to attend the funeral. Randall's mother and Betsy prepared and served calf fries at the wake.

Friday night pizza this week will be a Spinach Chicken Bacon Ranch. I will make a thin, cheesy bechamel with ranch mix powder and spread it over the crust. I will then distribute the other goodies and top with a light mozzarella topping. Nancy has finished the dough and I am getting up to make the toppings.

50 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I don’t have any more good bread from the Hill so it’s whole wheat lunch bread.  It’s not good bread. 

Browned up the pastrami then put pepper cheese on top and squirted water in there and covered it. 

Beer!!

E05156EF-F4F5-4E7F-9B2D-E1825C024FB2.jpeg

C160E6D1-77C8-42EB-BC33-391606A59C2F.jpeg

F2565ED1-F199-43E1-A1E5-330F8334CFED.jpeg

AF8866B4-F4A0-4343-8960-318EEE7613EC.jpeg

One has to make do sometimes.  I have that same exact lid.  Revere ware.  Classic stuff.  Good sauce pans but like you, prefer non-stick skillets.  Cast iron for certain things, but usually non-stick for me.  Chef's brand is a favorite but I don't think still available.

What are the green things?  Pickle?

13 hours ago, Terrierman said:

One has to make do sometimes.  I have that same exact lid.  Revere ware.  Classic stuff.  Good sauce pans but like you, prefer non-stick skillets.  Cast iron for certain things, but usually non-stick for me.  

Yeah, Revere Ware at my house too. My mom had it from the 50’s and the stuff I have dates to 1988. Tough as nails. Replaced a sauce pan a couple years ago when a handle weld failed, but the rest is good. Yeah, a good nonstick is needed and a good cast iron is too. But the day-to-day is in the Revere Ware. 

John

I grew up with Revere ware. One of my sisters grabbed it when the time came.

I use three non stick skillets, a thick saute pan, 2 enamel and one cast iron dutch ovens, and a cast iron griddle that weighs like 143 pounds.

Bierocks rock!

Working out of my new cookbook and an older one I spied the Bierock. Remembered Ness and a couple others speaking of them. My new book deals with small game and the other all game. I liked the dough and the innards of the new book but did not want to use small game so I chose ground venison that was in the older book. So the Mrs. made the dough as I did the assist. Let it rise an hour and punch it down, another hour punch it down and begin to split  into eight  and roll it out. During all this we worked up the other stuff that would be mixed with the venison. Herbs, spices, shredded cabbage, sauerkraut, onion, mustard, malt vinegar and beer.  Making the dough round flats to be stuffed,

thumbnail_0421181613[1].jpg All filled, egg wash and topping of poppy and caraway seeds,  thumbnail_0421181622[1].jpg Popped into oven for 30 minutes,

Then out for a short cool off,thumbnail_0421181657[1].jpg Then the peek inside,thumbnail_0421181707[1].jpg  

Can you believe we ate two apiece? Actually easy to make. Says they are good cold and I bet so. Freezes well too. I am thinking two will be going to the turkey blind in the rainy morning tomorrow when I try to call the Mrs. a bird in,

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead