Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

Speaking of hellfire, I did fire up the Weber tonight and much to the chagrin of many of you, the deck didn’t catch fire. Flank steak marinated in soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and lime juice. Cooked to medium rare over coals with apple wood chips. Stir fried red bell pepper and red onion, charred flour tortillas, sour cream and La Victoria green sauce. Steak sliced thin on the bias. Served with a complimentary floss pick. Delicious. 

3C8D3602-BBB7-4614-BFD2-C81DFBD6F192.jpeg

26C25E9A-4447-412C-8E4E-67C89E789180.jpeg

John

Turkey Yucat'an,

Central and the upper part of South America is where the turkey was first domesticated. The Maya were the first to do this. So we are going to trip to that area to base this meal off of. The meat here will be an eastern wild turkey. The wings, thighs and legs. Some neat ingredients will be going in here. A new one for us will be achiote paste. The turkey pieces will be brined first in kosher salt. After that a mixture including the achiote paste the turkey will be marinated in for a few hours. thumbnail_0512181434.jpgFor the sauce we will be charring tomatoes, onions and garlic. I am sure down there it would be some exotic wood. In BilletHeadVille it will be white oak, thumbnail_0512181418.jpgthumbnail_0512181423.jpg  We then pull the turkey out of the marinade and char it too,thumbnail_0512181440.jpg While this is charring the sauce is made from the charred veggies more achiote paste spices and a couple chipotles in adobo. All this is blended up good. Now the turkey is simmered in this sauce until it becomes tender. The older the bird the longer the cook time. while this was simmering I looked up on how to make a Spanish rice.  When done it all came together. A couple tortillas warmed up in a cast iron skillet and plated up. Another treat,

thumbnail_0512181804.jpg   

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

I’ve seen and heard of achiote paste but haven’t ever used it. May have had it, not sure. What’s it made of and what’s it like?

John

Kind of a smoky pepper taste. Hard to describe. After yesterdays adventure using store bought paste I looked up making our own. So there are variations in how folks make it. One thing for sure is the annatto seed. This is what gives it the red color. I am betting my herb book has a recipe in it. When I want it again I will make it. Here is one I bookmarked,

https://www.thespicehouse.com/recipes/recado-rojo-red-achiote-paste-recipe

One thing for sure  a few years back we decided to branch out in our eating experience. So many times we get stuck in the same old thing. This has been a very enlightening trip, one as long as we are still alive will not stop,

BilletHead

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

54 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Turkey looks good! Usually use achiote for carnitas. You can find in little bricks at most Mexican markets. 

Yep that is where I got mine for the recipe Gavin. Kind of like breaking down tar to get it worked in the marinade and sauce. We went to two Latino markets looking for another variety. Achiote verde with no luck. One of those stores was packed from floor to ceiling with all sorts of things from South of the border. Hard to even negotiate down the isle. I am surprised the fire department inspections in that town would even let this place pass. You could send your money to Mexico from here too.  Interesting place,

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

On 5/9/2018 at 10:33 PM, ness said:

Speaking of hellfire, I did fire up the Weber tonight and much to the chagrin of many of you, the deck didn’t catch fire. Flank steak marinated in soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and lime juice. Cooked to medium rare over coals with apple wood chips. Stir fried red bell pepper and red onion, charred flour tortillas, sour cream and La Victoria green sauce. Steak sliced thin on the bias. Served with a complimentary floss pick. Delicious. 

3C8D3602-BBB7-4614-BFD2-C81DFBD6F192.jpeg

26C25E9A-4447-412C-8E4E-67C89E789180.jpeg

0504181052a1.jpg