OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
ness

What's Cooking?

7 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

I had no idea that there was jasmine rice paddies in Maryland :) . Capers too?

BilletHead 

We have a local barter system, I exchange dyed paper/linen and pick up those ingredients;).

Much more simple tonight. Meat sauce over weird pasta with a salad.

fullsizeoutput_101d.jpeg

Vietnamese smoked fish salad,

Pretty easy actually. Sweet, sour, salty, meaty and spicy. Then there is the smoked aspect. For the fish I thawed out some of the spring caught white bass. Needed to use it up as white bass will get strong if frozen long.  Did a hot smoke and did not brine the fish. Just a sprinkle of salt and into the smoker until done. 240 to 250 degrees,

thumbnail_0822181344.jpg   Made the dressing and salad added the fish. Made a cooker of rice. Served salad over the rice,

thumbnail_0822181421.jpg

BilletHead

16 minutes ago, curtisce said:

Glad you are throughtly cooking that white bass, I myself might try this recipe with cerviche🐛

That's why you are so skinny. It is the worms!    This salad is good just by itself but the smoked fist takes it over the top. I see sliced seared and smoked duck in it too,

BilletHead

Another meal that started with the self-pick option. This time in Virginia. This guy got steaked.

Livie Atlantic Sharpnose Shark (2) - 17Aug18.jpg

The steaks were seasoned with salt and pepper then cooked in a trace of olive oil. Once they were flipped, drizzled with teriyaki glaze and flipped again to caramelize the glaze on both sides of the fish. Steamed broccoli drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette and homestyle new potatoes. Not shown was a leaf lettuce salad with cashews, black olives, artichoke hearts, and raw broccoli.

20180823_181719.jpg

Smoked chicken with broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach casserole.

fullsizeoutput_1024.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1028.jpeg

Been pretty dull cooking-wise around here. Too much eating out or frozen. But, the other night I came home with an idea for chicken salad, which has been sounding good lately. Chicken breast, Hellman's, dijon mustard, cayenne....and here's where it gets weird....capers, a little caper juice, and some diced water chestnuts. Those last two were my idea. Then, I realized I had some grapes so I chopped a few up, added them in and gave it a taste. It needed more capers, juice, salt and a bit more cayenne. Dang! Imma rite this one down!

Sorry no picture. Imagine chicken salad with grapes and little green things in it.