Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
ness

What's Cooking?

Recommended Posts

I haven't spent any time in the deer woods this year :mellow:. So all of the opening weekend talk had me craving some venison. Pulled out a couple of round steaks and seasoned them with salt, pepper, and a southwest spice mixture. Grilled them in the grill pan and let them rest 10 minutes.

20181114_185411.jpg

I also cooked some cauliflower in chicken stock that I had heated with some dried hen of the woods mushrooms. Once tender, I put them in the blender and blended them until it was just shy of a puree.

20181114_190713.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

I haven't spent any time in the deer woods this year :mellow:. So all of the opening weekend talk had me craving some venison. Pulled out a couple of round steaks and seasoned them with salt, pepper, and a southwest spice mixture. Grilled them in the grill pan and let them rest 10 minutes.

20181114_185411.jpg

I also cooked some cauliflower in chicken stock that I had heated with some dried hen of the woods mushrooms. Once tender, I put them in the blender and blended them until it was just shy of a puree.

20181114_190713.jpg

         You got the venison cooked just right John!

 BilletHead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You game eaters are killing me! I have not hunted since my Father's knees gave out when he was teaching me when I was 10. I shot well while in the service but never translated that to hunting.

And so ... I put together a butternut soup recipe you might like.

http://www.ozarkrevenge.com/2018/11/slow-cooker-curried-butternut-apple-soup.html

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, rps said:

You game eaters are killing me! I have not hunted since my Father's knees gave out when he was teaching me when I was 10. I shot well while in the service but never translated that to hunting.

And so ... I put together a butternut soup recipe you might like.

http://www.ozarkrevenge.com/2018/11/slow-cooker-curried-butternut-apple-soup.html

 

 

 

                Butternut soup fan. I will try that one soon. As far as not having the wild stuff at your household I am sure a hunter in your area would share. I for one would gift you what I harvest so you could do your spin on it. 

   BilletHead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a loaf of freshould bread ready for the oven when I heard a shot, my wife's rifle is very recognizable.  Her 3rd deer down.  Made her wait until the bread was finished before I took tractor down to retrieve her and the deer, little 4pt.  Gonna be tasty.  Supper was a couple of some kind of fish fillets that we had bought, think they were Swai or something.  Wish I had been smart enough to put some walleye or crappie fillets on a cookie sheet to freeze and vac pack them individually so I don't have to eat them Swai things.  Tasty though.

2018-11-15 18.33.31.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MOPanfisher said:

Had a loaf of freshould bread ready for the oven when I heard a shot, my wife's rifle is very recognizable.  Her 3rd deer down.  Made her wait until the bread was finished before I took tractor down to retrieve her and the deer, little 4pt.  Gonna be tasty.  Supper was a couple of some kind of fish fillets that we had bought, think they were Swai or something.  Wish I had been smart enough to put some walleye or crappie fillets on a cookie sheet to freeze and vac pack them individually so I don't have to eat them Swai things.  Tasty though.

2018-11-15 18.33.31.jpg

That's s good looking loaf! Love the smell of fresh baked bread.

By the way your Mrs is a killer! Got to keep that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good! Worked a short day and had some time to play with the girls, shovel out, shop, & cook. Boneless pork chops on sale, so decided to make Schnitzel. Pound the chops thin. Season with S&P, flour, egg wash, plain bread crumbs, then straight into a pan with an 1/8” of oil at 350. 2-3 minutes a side. Drain & rest a bit. Great with a wedge of fresh squeezed lemon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BilletHead said:

                Butternut soup fan. I will try that one soon. As far as not having the wild stuff at your household I am sure a hunter in your area would share. I for one would gift you what I harvest so you could do your spin on it. 

   BilletHead

I have a standing deal with my students - bring me a pound of ground venison and I add a pound of ground beef/pork. I make the chili and we split it. I only ask mild or spicy and beans/no beans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.