Tanneycomo Better Than Trout Parks?

rFisherk

I think it is for a few reasons:

Because of the prolific stocking program, the lake always is loaded with trout. I'm not sure of the statistics, but I suspect the number of trout per angler is much higher.

Because it gets comparatively far less fishing pressure per acre of water than the Parks, the fish are less educated and fishing is better.

Even though it technically is a lake, there are plenty of places to wade fish. Rarely does anyone wade in front of you, stand too close or tangle lines with you.

I believe it is generally a better put-and-take trout fishing experience, and Lilley's Landing is a great place to stay.

post-18086-0-23083400-1424338622.jpg

I can see that it has been a while since you have wade fished taneycomo. Just like most of missouri's public waters, whether it be trout, bass, or crappie or urban pond. The influx of unethical and inconsiderate souls is overwhelming. Where do all of these idiots come from? THey most likely are the same people that cut you off in traffic or stradle two parking spaces at the shopping mall. The same people that think they are at an unfair advantage if you catch fish and they do not. They want equal access to the water you are fishing. But you know what? I love every minute of it, and the daily circus show is very entertaining.

• Members

It may be that more people are joining the ranks of trout fishing and, with less water for all, are over anxious to catch something... Sometimes this is a self correcting problem, as they realize that fishing is more than catching and gain experience with others doing to them what they did to your. Not 100%, which is why it is important for our State and others to continue adding and enhancing trout fishing opportunities in all suitable areas.

• Members

On a related issue, on our last few trips to Taneycomo, I have noticed that boaters seem to have become more "polite" for lack of a better term in the upper reaches of the lake. Perhaps because changes in the depth etc have forced a more restricted speed. Anyway, again, not 100% but appreciated and I try to acknowledge that as they pass with a wave and a "thanks".. That said, the Narrows is still a tough place but mostly, I think due to the topography; i.e. the Narrows..

Even when Taney is packed you can find some water to fish without a crowd. Last spring when I was down the upper end from Fall creek to Cooper was pretty crowded so we went in and below Roark. Some good fish down there. Cleos, kastmaster and suspending stick baits can be great down there. At a trout park its hard to find an unoccupied area to fish. Last time I was at Montauk we were shoulder to shoulder in a hole and I was the only one catching fish. White thread jig under a float was great and no one else had one. One of the guys who had been there a couple days and not done well told me about that and I gave him one.....he started catching fish right away. So I agree that Taney is better than the parks.

laker67, on 19 Feb 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

If the trout parks had 22 miles of creek, they might be less packed as well.

They probably would be less crowded. I still like to fish the parks but usually go during the week. I still like Taney better mostly because of the boat option. They are really apples and oranges.

The trout parks do not provide the potential of catching a state record brown trout or in some cases even a small brown trout. So I have to go with Taneycomo as the better option. Due to the distance from my house I do fish the trout parks frequently, but dream about Taneycomo.

They probably would be less crowded. I still like to fish the parks but usually go during the week. I still like Taney better mostly because of the boat option. They are really apples and oranges.

The original poster mentioned wade fishing, so my response was in regard to wading and not boating.