Custom painting lures

• Members

I made a set of stencils last week to try and copy the old pattern.  It was painstaking work with an exacto knife, all the videos I have watched about stencil making suggested using a dremel tool, and now I know why!  I tried to upload some pics of the baits I painted with it this week, but I keep getting an error.  Any ideas why I can’t get photos to upload?  I am trying to do it from an I phone.

On 1/13/2018 at 10:12 AM, Lvn2Fish said:

Here is my take on the V 63! It came out pretty amazing !

image natural .jpeg

natural 3.jpeg

image1.jpeg

holy smokes, thats mean looking. how did you achieve the matte finish? those are the most difficult IMO 

On 1/14/2018 at 10:55 AM, Falcon215 said:

I made a set of stencils last week to try and copy the old pattern.  It was painstaking work with an exacto knife, all the videos I have watched about stencil making suggested using a dremel tool, and now I know why!  I tried to upload some pics of the baits I painted with it this week, but I keep getting an error.  Any ideas why I can’t get photos to upload?  I am trying to do it from an I phone.

I literally tried for two weeks to upload these pics from an I phone . I ended up emailing myself these pictures and posting from a desk top . Not sure what the problem is .

I did use the dremel to make the stencils, but it became monotonous.  Now I kinda come up with something new every time I paint. I use paper stencils cut at the time of painting. And free hand with the air brush. And also add some with an actual paint brush . 

17 hours ago, TrophyFishR said:

holy smokes, thats mean looking. how did you achieve the matte finish? those are the most difficult IMO 

I haven’t figured out how to achieve the matte yet . I didn’t mean for people to mistake this as a cleared and finished bait. 

Putting the clear coat on these lures is by far the most tedious phase. One small hiccup will drive the artest completely insane. It also takes about 50x the hours to complete . 

On 1/14/2018 at 10:55 AM, Falcon215 said:

I can get more detail from an exacto btw. I’m just saying don’t believe the dremel hype. To each there own, but I have a much cleaner look using the knife . Plus I can change it on the fly. 

I’ve screwed up 10X more with clear coat than actual painting. Ambient air temperature variances & humidity can wreck a clear coat. I’ve been using matte plasti dip in the rattle can to get the desired matte finish. But I can’t spray it indoors, so that’s strictly reseverve for warmer months. 

On 1/16/2018 at 4:37 PM, Lvn2Fish said:

Putting the clear coat on these lures is by far the most tedious phase. One small hiccup will drive the artest completely insane. It also takes about 50x the hours to complete . 

Depends entirely on the clear being used.