Ned Rig , New Rig?

Walcrabass

Well here goes,

The Ned Rig. Something relatively new?? How many of us remember when the Beetle Spin came out? Great fishing lure. Remember how you could get one spinner and two beetles in the same package? How many of you fished with the second beetle and no spinner? Well pat yourself on the back ..... you fished with the Ned Rig !!!! That's right. A fifty year old bait has resurfaced with a little bit of change. The one difference is we don't use the spinner.

I have several friends that fish this Ned thing. I have tried it myself. The problem as I see it is that it catches far too many small Bass. Because of the normally small and light size they way too often inhale it. Unhooking them causes problems and I feel many of the fish die. Be careful fishing with this rig. If you are catching small ones it might be best for your future as a fisherman to change to something that the "Little Guys" won't be so likely to pick up.

Now with all that said if they institute a separate length for the Kentuckies then find those suckers and fish the Ned like crazy. It will put lots of those 12" fish in the boat.

Wall-----well...... you know

Interesting wa. I still intend to throw this thing but I haven't got it wet yet? I thot this would be a great bait for beat up fish ?

I haven't even figured out work it yet

Dprice

priceheatingair.com 

Trolling motors have been around 40 years, but they've evolved in that time span.

Similar analogy to the beetle spin vs Ned rig.

They're not the same.

you hit the nail on the head walcra!!!!!! it took me several times out to learn how not to gut hook fish. for an inexperienced fisherman to drag it behind the boat on slack line is a disaster waiting to happen. its interesting you brought this topic up because when i was in the shop today papi was modifying his 1/8oz ned rig mold to take a 4/0 hook so a full size senko type bait can be fished on it. Maybe people with a consious are starting to see the problem with it..ive been saying for months that these small 10 to 14'' fish get stung by it enough by the time they are keeps they see it they will swim other way. when i'm fishing for money all i need is 5 good bites and i may or may not get them on the ned but with the 5 good bites i'll get 30 dinks and dinks dont bring home a ck. plus i run the risk of gut hooking a fish and i hate doing that!!!!!! i do fish it some but im trying different baits hooks and ect.as they were talking on the table rock forum probly the best and safest way to fish it is to bend the barb of the hook down.

Wallcra: good analysis, half way.

i dont want it to sound like im pointing my finger at good anglers who made adjustments to their technique and reduced the risk of injuring fish. but it is proving the ned can catch very large numbers of fish in one day and someone not adept to fishing it can gut hook alot of fish and as we get alot of vacationers coming in during the warmer months and dragging it around the number of injured fish can add up quickly. ive fished it quite a bit and i read from the fellas and gals that fish it on the rock to learn to fish it correctly is an art and some of them are masters at it.

Not at all a beetle spin. If you study the way it sits on the bottom it is a different look for the fish. I tried it for the first time down at state park on tr and I see the attraction. I grew up trout fishing and have become a bit of a crappie angler lately. This thing is a hat trick.....jig for trout, be patient with a light bite for crappie, and catch a bass. I think it comes down to this.....fish what you have confidence in when it comes down to filling the live well.