OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Tanderson15

Walleye thought

During our best times there were days where we would only keep two for dinner because the catch was easy. Sept and Oct we would keep all to keep use thur the winter. I think without counting our best year would be keeping about 350 walleyes. I have been able to hold fish fries for 50 people of my bible study group. Be advised Lenny would only keep 1 or 2 fish as he did not like them unless fresh.

Vinsott, it's not like it was a couple of years ago. It now takes all day to catch a limit of 4 just barely over 18". I have been catching a few 16 - 17" for the future, but the hay day is over I think. I think the 2008 flood gave us a good class, but they have been caught.

Gotcha. But after tasting a walleye I see why so many are die hards. I come from Florida salt water land and never was too excited about eating freshwater fish until I ate a walleye. Better then crappie to me, not so soft.

We eat it 2 or 3 times a wk. Since 1983 that is the only fish I fish for, I might be missing out on some fun with the stripers, but it's hard to change at my age.

During our best times there were days where we would only keep two for dinner because the catch was easy. Sept and Oct we would keep all to keep use thur the winter. I think without counting our best year would be keeping about 350 walleyes. I have been able to hold fish fries for 50 people of my bible study group. Be advised Lenny would only keep 1 or 2 fish as he did not like them unless fresh.

I don't mean any offense, as I consider Walleye's on Beaver an eating fish. But it sure sounds like part of the reason Walleye's may be harder to come by is staring at you in the mirror every morning. I'm sure you're far from the only one keeping lots of them, either. Perhaps Walleye folks need to adopt more of the bass catch and release mentality?