REALLY?

Boobie

When MT was being impounded the "story" going around was that they (whoever THEY was) heavily stocked all the little pits and ponds that would eventually be flooded. Now that I'm older/wiser I know that was a crock of s#it, but it was amazing that only a few years after it reached full pool that lake was FULL of nice sized fish.

The only arms of the lake that had truly decent bass populations before the lake was made were the Middle and Elk forks, and there is just no way that they held enough fish to populate that entire expanse of new water. So where all those fish came from in the early days is a mystery to me.

The pond deal is done on a lot of smaller lakes, but would be surprised if they did it in a big lake. Especially in a state that does not like to stock bass. Might still have been a lot of fish in ponds that were flooded, even if not stocked for that reason.

Nah, there wasn't even access to those ponds/pits anymore back then even if you wanted to stock them. You could get to them with a dirt bike or a helecopter but that's about it.

People (or the MDC) didn't even own 4wd trucks back then, so there was no stocking going on.

Most of the pits were clay pits dug in the early-mid 60's during the space launching pad era and for years remained too alkaline from gypsum spoils to even hold fish.

Nah, there wasn't even access to those ponds/pits anymore back then even if you wanted to stock them. You could get to them with a dirt bike or a helecopter but that's about it.

People (or the MDC) didn't even own 4wd trucks back then, so there was no stocking going on.

Most of the pits were clay pits dug in the early-mid 60's during the space launching pad era and for years remained too alkaline from gypsum spoils to even hold fish.

Back to the mystery tag then. It's a strange lake for sure. We stopped going there and more or less swithced to Thousand Hills, Hazel Creek, and Thomas Hill for club stuff back in the 90's. It was always pretty cold when we came down, slow lake to warm up.

Fishinwrench, Dave and Jerry,

You guys have offered a ton of great fishing advice and humorous commentary on the forum and I have nothing but respect for you guys. However, your assessment of Mark Twain is so far off base it is kind of funny. I do not know what it was like 20 years ago but it is currently a very good crappie lake for both size and numbers.

You guys have offered a ton of great fishing advice and humorous commentary on the forum and I have nothing but respect for you guys. However, your assessment of Mark Twain is so far off base it is kind of funny. I do not know what it was like 20 years ago but it is currently a very good crappie lake for both size and numbers.

I haven't intentionally fished for crappie in any lake since about 1993. Not a fish eater. All of my experiences at Twain were with green fish.

Well thanks. I said when I first responded to this thread that my knowledge of the lake was dated and not recent. It is otherwise VERY accurate.

I'm glad that someone is doing well there and enjoying the lake. I miss it kinda, especially during this time of the year when this lake (LO) is like fishing in a washing machine.

More reports on the MT forum would be cool to see. Get on that will ya? :D

Well thanks. I said when I first responded to this thread that my knowledge of the lake was dated and not recent. It is otherwise VERY accurate.

I'm glad that someone is doing well there and enjoying the lake. I miss it kinda, especially during this time of the year when this lake (LO) is like fishing in a washing machine.

More reports on the MT forum would be cool to see. Get on that will ya? :D

Do they even have computers in that part of MO? Last time I was at Twain there were maybe 3 motels and a convenience store. Had nice boat ramps though.