Aunts Creek

Rickf

You know I reread the other posts again and I have to say I can't believe we're giving this guy a hard time for following regulations. I am sure mdc has established length and creel limits with the future in mind. This is a renewable resource. as long as regulations are adhered to the population should be just fine for all kids including my own. It's like saying no one should kill a deer.....just take a picture of it. I would have to agree with this though.......I'd eat walleye and catfish any day over bass!!

But yet it's ok to drag LM and SM off of the beds and throw them in your live well for the day and then let them go if they survive. Ya think those fish are going to find there bed again and lay there eggs?

I fished the BFL tournament on May 2 and had a limit by 9:30 a.m. I had every opportunity to sight fish the rest of the day but chose not to for two reasons: 1. It would have handicapped my co-angler terribly; and 2. I didn't want to haul fish off the beds and destroy their spawn.

Some things are more important to me than money --- especially ethics.

So please don't fire that bullet in my direction.

ClassActionTransparent.png

I don't particularly like to see this but it's well within his rights according to MO law and MDC regulations. But if you're a meat hunter a trot line is a heck of tool to get a ton the best eating fish in the lake.....flatheads. White bass are also plentiful and about as dumb as they come when feeding and can be found rather easily thus making it a great fish to load the boat/cooler/fryer. Cleaned right and soaked in either salt water/tonic water/7Up or whatever you choose you couldn't tell the difference between them and black bass. The blacks and the browns I wish would remain a C&R species to be caught another day and reproduce but I am certainly not a biologist nor a conservation expert on the matter.

As many 15" bass that tablerock has, it probably would 't hurt to keep a few. The way i see it, keep what you're entitled if you wish but always put back the big ones. That goes for all species. A limit of barely legal fish will be replaced much sooner than one giant. Seeing big fish kept for the table sucks.

Maybe they should check out the Mo Conservation page on the note from the health department on eating our bass out of Tablerock lake. Quillback posted this advisory back in 2012 along with comments from Bill on the warning on consuming Bass..

It only applies to black bass. This from the MDC website:

" Lab testing done by the Missouri food safety commission has found that black bass over 15" caught from Table Rock lake, contain unacceptable high levels of Mercury, Lead, Asbestos, and chloride. Lab rats, upon being fed small portions of Table Rock origin black bass, developed serious cancerous tumors and expired at an early age. The state of Missouri strongly recommends that all black bass caught in Table Rock lake be immediately returned unharmed to the lake, and should not be used as food by humans or their pets. Consumption of black bass from Table Rock lake could result in serious health issues or even death."

​Of course a person probably would have to eat several lbs before any ill effects maybe?? But it is a wonder that there is no signage to inform the public of this..

Remember there's Karma to contend with..... :have-a-nice-day:

Maybe they should check out the Mo Conservation page on the note from the health department on eating our bass out of Tablerock lake. Quillback posted this advisory back in 2012 along with comments from Bill on the warning on consuming Bass..

It only applies to black bass. This from the MDC website:

" Lab testing done by the Missouri food safety commission has found that black bass over 15" caught from Table Rock lake, contain unacceptable high levels of Mercury, Lead, Asbestos, and chloride. Lab rats, upon being fed small portions of Table Rock origin black bass, developed serious cancerous tumors and expired at an early age. The state of Missouri strongly recommends that all black bass caught in Table Rock lake be immediately returned unharmed to the lake, and should not be used as food by humans or their pets. Consumption of black bass from Table Rock lake could result in serious health issues or even death."

​Of course a person probably would have to eat several lbs before any ill effects maybe?? But it is a wonder that there is no signage to inform the public of this..

Remember there's Karma to contend with..... :have-a-nice-day:

Thank you for the info I didn't see that. Very well put also.

• Members

Eat the bass if you prefer Rickf, I would eat the walleye myself because I love walleye. Didn't know that about the bass, interesting! I read about everything I could get my hands on before my trip and never read this

"I'm Haunted by Water"

i get the catch and release that most are wanting, but sometimes you need to look at it from a different perspective. what about those that love to hunt trophies of other species such as walleye and cats??? do you not think it might be just as offensive to some every time you eat a walleye, cat, or other species??

i am one that has never liked bed fishing to be allowed in tournaments. let them spawn. in fact, it would be a great idea to divide the lake into sections, and have a closed cove policy on a rotating basis for each section for the month of may. might help with the crappie population also.

all of you crappie eaters could quit eating all of them you catch on the upper end of the lake for a year or two so we could get a few back in the lake. :have-a-nice-day: .

bo