OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
duckydoty

The season has begun.

I have been up in King Salmon over a week now. The lodge is up and running and the first guests have been here a couple of days now. Fishing on the Naknek has been good. The river is a little low but the smolting action has been good. Got to fish with My MonaChari for a little over an hour in the Rapids today. Lots of birds diving and big bows crashing. I had on little stint where I took 8 casts and landed 7 rainbows with the smallest being 22 inches and the largest was 29 inches long. Lots of jumps and good solid runs. I'll try and keep you all posted on how the season is going.

post-49-0-35074000-1434514476.jpg

post-49-0-16371700-1434514524.jpg

These are resident bows. No steelhead in the Naknek River. They migrate in and out of Naknek Lake. I bet the Ned rig would work up here if you could get it in a two tone color of silver and black or silver and green and thrown on a 3/8 ounce head. Would have to jig it fast though. We should be getting kings in any day now. Think I'm slotted to take a guest back out on the Naknek River this afternoon when he gets back from fishing for kings on the Nushagak River this morning. What a cool day....kings in the morning, bows in the afternoon.

This is a view from my front porch over looking the Naknek River at 11 p.m. The summer solstice is getting close and you can see why they call it the land of the midnight sun.

post-49-0-78716900-1434610608.jpg