Stl County Park Lakes been any good recently?

Haris122

I met up with Harris122 this morning at Unger Park for some crappie fishing and neither of us were disappointed. Both of us had pretty good days there. I don't do selfies with fish but finally had someone there to get pictures with me in the picture instead of a hand/fish photo. I caught quite a few 12-14 inch crappie with a technique I call "JUNGLE FISHING". I broke out the 12 foot crappie rod and waded in to fish the heavy wood cover dropping my jigs into little pockets and when one hit I wrestled them up and over logs which is tricky but a blast. Float n fly jigs that I make with IMG_1475.JPGIMG_1484.JPGfeathers accounted for most of my bigger crappie, they were really thumping those jigs. IMG_1471.JPG This kind of fishing is addictive and healthy. I checked my fitbit several times and those fish had my heart rate up around 120. I might go again tomorrow depending on the weather.

Great stuff guys.  Good to see people meeting and fishing.  Glad to read a good report.  Thanks for sharing.  

Money is just ink and paper, worthless until it switches hands, and worthless again until the next transaction. (me)

I am the master of my unspoken words, and the slave to those that should have remained unsaid. (unknown)

Went yesterday morning but didn't catch as many nice crappie as I had been. It was very humid and cloudy with no breeze at all, other days wind was blowing into the areas I fish. Did catch a bass about 15 inches and a little flathead cat which was a first for me there. It fought like crazy on the long rod but manage to shrink in size by the time I got it in. Only caught one crappie over 12 inches and some 9-10 inchers.IMG_1490.JPGIMG_1495.JPGIMG_1496.JPGIMG_1499.JPG

I stopped by briefly yesterday too. We were real slow at work so I left early and dropped by there for about 2 hours until the storms rolled in. I got 2 little largemouth, a bluegill, and a little crappie. I lost another bigger fish that I didn’t see good enough to make out after a brief fight. 

Cool stuff. I really like the flathead. I still never caught one of them yet. 

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hi Haris,  it was a very nice talking with you that day. Finally we met in person and hope I can meet more ppls from here. Not much action there. The water temperature was at mid 40's and I think we will have to wait couple warm days for the fish to get active. This is a very interesting lake and I am still learning, especially from Jim...

Cheers..

-Joe