Lake 33 this weekend

Went to lake 33 this afternoon until closing time, and got my rear handed to me by my girlfriend. She caught 10 fish of various types with just one rod with a roostertail with single hook, while I tried several topwaters, several crankbaits, two other roostertails, a spinnerbait, and a little crappie tube under a float, and got 1 fish finally, on a crankbait, with a few other strikes on of the heddon torpedo or similar topwater lure. This makes it the 3rd time in a row that we went to Bush and I got blown out of the water by her, under similar conditions. That rod and lure are just made to catch fish it seems, especially by her. Maybe next time, I'll be the better one. Though I don't see myself winning by that large a margin. BIggest fish were a 15" channel cat of hers, a 11" Black Crappie of hers, and a 11" Largemouth Bass of mine (my one sole fish).

Haris - It all depends upon how appreciative your girlfriend may be after catching more and bigger fish than you did. I don't mind my wife catching bigger fish, because it keeps her interested in fishing and thus we (I) get to go more frequently. I've been known to fish "less intensively" if she is giving me a hard time about how much she is enjoying beating my buns in numbers or size of fish. It's been working so far after 30 yrs. of being together.

I'll say this, I wasn't letting her win. She did it fair and square. Which is fine by me. I'm all for getting her hooked on it so I can do it more often. I just wish it wouldn't have been such a blowout. Makes me question what I've been doing the past 4 years when someone that doesn't know or care as much about fishing, manages to outfish me 10-1, when I've been devoting lots of time and effort to learn and get better at it. I welcomed the challenge of figuring out how to get them to bite without the use of what seemed to be a guarantee. It just gets to me that I couldn't get more than 1 fish with all those things I tried, while she pulled them in left and right all day with just that one lure.

Some people just have fish-mojo. Back in my bass club days there was an old dude that had never fished in his life (he was actually here via a witness protection program from California). He would just sit in the back of the boat, sip beer and cast around willy-nilly with whatever bait looked good to him that day... AND CATCH FISH LIKE CRAZY 90% of the time.

My wife regularly catches more fish than I do only using a Zebco 33 setup and a rooster tail. No biggie. We are out fishing together and that is all that matters to me.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

• 1 month later...

We actually went out to lake 33 a few days ago again and caught 5 fish a piece. We went in the middle of the day and it was scorching in the boat, but they cooperated, even with me this time. Nothing big came out of it but it was still a good time. I think the biggest fish were two 7 or 8" crappie and a 8" largemouth. The rest were mainly Green Sunfish of various sizes, sprinkled in with a baby bass, and another sunfish of some sort.

I couldn't tell you. I haven't been to Lake 33 up until maybe 3-4 years ago at the earliest, so I couldn't tell you how it looked like in comparison before 2011-2012 or so. I do know they claim to put in crappie structures in there. Pallets somehow attached together and such, from what I saw at Lake 35 once, probably along with the odd used christmas tree.

I think they added a lot of habitat when they had the water level lowered a few years ago when they were fixing a hole in the dam.  

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

I use to take the kids out there nearly every day in the mid nineties.

We catch allot of nice fish and more dinks, always from the shore.

We thought it had allot of fishing pressure then, but still managed some exciting times.

I really ought to go give it try again.

Usr to live 10 mins away, now it's 40.

Thanks for the info. Good luck

I shop at the outdoor grocery store