OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hog Wally

Honey bees

question about bees. We were tied off under a giant sycamore yesterday. There was a hole in it where honey bees were under attack but we couldn't identify the killers cause it was up to high but they were falling in and around our boat missing wings and body parts. Kinda sad.

I think hornets and yellow jackets will attack a bee colony.

If anything it was probably hornets, they can work bees over pretty good. Their jaws are large and can rip bees up pretty good. Yellow jackets are smaller than honey bees and they can handle them pretty well.

Did you actually see the activity around the opening? Bees carry out their dead and dying, they could have just been cleaning.

Jaybirds will eat the butt portion and leave heads and wings also. They crave the sweet honey in their honey stomach.

They will probably be alright, there are about 30 thousand or more in a typical hive. They can loose a few hundred and not miss any. Here is a pic of the daily flyers hanging out on a hot afternoon, the hive is still pretty full of bees.

post-739-0-13180900-1437529166.jpg

I guess I've been watching to much discovery channel and seeing these foreign invaders killing native bees. I grew up around bees as a kid and always kept in my memory every hive in every tree I found across miles of ozark ridges I hunted for squirrels I purposely routed my squirrel jaunts to check em yearly and see which ones had been raided.