OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kayser

Planting in August?

I'll be back in Rolla in August, and would like to have some fresh produce later this fall- the grocery stores can fall a bit flat on selection and quality. Does anyone have a suggestion for something I could plant that time of year, or am I just put of luck? Pots or raised bed, can put in afternoon sun or shade. Looking forward to suggestions

You can plant greens like spinach, lettuce, mustard etc., also turnips and even squash. However things like hot weather are tough on greens and you may get frosted before squash make, but if you don't plant anything you are guaranteed to harvest nothing.

I have had good luck with a second planting of green beans in the fall. Most varieties require 50-60 days to maturity, so planting in mid August should yeild a crop in mid October. You might get bit by the frost once in a while, but it's a cheap gamble for a nice batch of fresh beans.

Thanks for the advice. The east is the back yard, shaded, the house to the south is pretty close, and front yard is west with a big maple in it, but otherwise open. I'm thinking about a small raised bed, right against the house- west wall, South corner. Would that lead to a problem with ants at all, or should I be OK?

And are there any small potatoes I could plant that would yield something by then?

Thanks again, appreciate the advice.

I would not worry much about bugs or ants from the garden. There is dirt there now, a cultivated garden creates less ants.

I doubt if taters would do anything. They are usually planted early in the spring. I have never done them for a fall garden. I doubt if you could find any with eyes to plant now either.

Spring crops can generally be fall crops too. Lettuce, radish, beet, pea, spinach, carrot, bush beans, etc. Forget long season, summer stuff