sunglasses

Rodmaker

Well, my $400 prescription sunglasses are on the bottom of prince william sound in alaska.( fishing up there last week) As I am coming down to the rock in about 3 weeks, I need a new pair. I am looking for a brand recommendation and just want to put those self adhering "cheaters" on them. This is the best consumers report site I can think of for new shades! Thanks, Bob

I'm down to two brands I keep in my boat: Costa, Kaenon.

I love my Costa 580g lens with green mirror when it is sunny. I think I get the best polarization, and I can see deeper in the water column.

In the mornings and evenings, I wear Kaenon C50 lens. Kaenon sells their copper lens in a 12%VLT, 28%VLT, and 50% VLT. The 12% Copper is a great all purpose lens, and allllmost as good as the Costa. It is ligher than the glass, and has better optical clarity than plastic lens like Oakley or all the others. The 50% is my favorite in the low light conditions, and doesn't compromise too much when it is brighter out. The closest Costa, or anyone, gets to that lens is their Sunrise lens, which is only 30%, and only comes in plastic.

I'm a costa fan. I wear amber in the spring and sight fishing. This year I bought blue mirrors to wear during bright summer days. Both frames are corbinas.

I know nothing about prescription stuff.

Smith/Action. Well made, they have an excellent warranty. Last pair I had over 10 years, and they happily replaced the frames twice when I broke them. The prescription was getting way behind, so I got new ones recently. This time bifocal. I can see to tie on a fly now without messing with flip down readers. They're gonna be my brand.

John

• Members

Costa's, Costa's, Costa's....I used to love Oakley's but the Costa Cortez pair I bought this spring have made a huge difference. Everything pops/looks lit with a subtle amber tone without the stress of the UV rays hitting your eyes and straining you out. 580P lenses are the way to go, they keep the frame light on your face and after a minute you forget your wearing sunglasses until you take them off.