Boat on Springfield lake

Is there a place to put my 14ft Jon boat in on the lake? Heard the ramp got washed out. Can you put in over by the park? It was blocked off for a while. Thanks for the info.

Went to the boathouse today to find out. Still no answer as to when the ramp will be rebuilt. As of now there's no place to launch a boat with a motor.

Went to the boathouse today to find out. Still no answer as to when the ramp will be rebuilt. As of now there's no place to launch a boat with a motor.

They had been talking about closing down the ramp for new bridge construction on 65. Not sure what ever came of that, but if it's the plan then it probably won't happen until that is complete.

• Members

I've been hearing the same. They essentially are not doing anything with the Southwoods Ramp and will wait until after the construction to decide what to do with the access. I've heard they plan on closing the water in that area as well, even to boaters/yaks/canoes...Not too happy if that is the case.

They had been talking about closing down the ramp for new bridge construction on 65. Not sure what ever came of that, but if it's the plan then it probably won't happen until that is complete.

"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers." -Herbert Hoover

Check out my website! www.beardedbassmaster.com

I've got a blog! Bass, Beards, and Brews!

Follow me on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/beardedbassmaster

• 2 weeks later...

Why is Lake Springfield boat ramp closed now?

Wes Johnson, News-Leader 6:48 p.m. CDT July 31, 2015

The record James River flood on June 19 was so powerful it ripped away the concrete boat ramp at the popular Lake Springfield Southwood Access and pushed it 9 feet downstream. The damage was so severe that the Missouri Department of Conservation was forced to break the boat ramp apart and close it to trailered boats, possibly for nearly two years. “That record flood scoured out the boat ramp and lifted the whole slab,” said Andy Austin, MDC’s Southwest Regional fisheries supervisor. “It was jumbled and unusable and had to be broken up and hauled off.”

B9318296155Z.1_20150731194240_000_GPQBGL

Record flooding on June 19 rips across the Southwood Access boat ramp.

(Photo: News-Leader file photo)

He said the Southwood Access restrooms and parking area survived the flood, which pushed the James River to 22.2 feet above flood stage, breaking the previous record set in 1909. Austin said people can still launch canoes, kayaks and small hand-carried boats from Southwood Access, but boats that need to be launched from trailers won’t be able to use the site.

The flood closed the popular Southwood Access boat ramp far sooner than anyone planned. The Missouri Department of Transportation has an 18-month bridge replacement and reconstruction project slated to begin next spring where U.S. 65 crosses the James River. The bridges are adjacent to the ramp, and the partners who maintain Southwood (MDC, Springfield-Greene County Parks, City of Springfield) agreed to close the entire Southwood Access area during that period so construction crews can use the area to stage equipment and supplies.

Austin said the three Southwood partners met to see if a temporary boat ramp could be built somewhere else on Lake Springfield to give trailered boats access to the lake. They considered an abandoned boat ramp site east of the Lake Springfield Boathouse but concluded it would be prone to continuous scouring from the James River current and would require continuous maintenance. “Also, there’s no such thing as an interim boat ramp — once it’s in, people will perceive it as always a ramp,” Austin said. “There would also be the constant cost to maintain it. Overriding all of that is that it’s just not a good location for a boat ramp.” The flood-related closure of the Southwood Access ramp, and long-term closure while the two bridges over the James River are built, mean trailered boats won’t be able to put in at Lake Springfield for close to two years.

“After the Highway 65 project is completed, we’ll bid the boat ramp project and put a new one in place,” Austin said.

• Members

Unfortunately, it will keep this guy with a 6 hp motor off the lake for 2 years. I've had a Lake Springfield boat for 27 years, not looking forward to a 2 year hiatus.