Cape Fair 7/26

Sore Thumbs

Put in at Cape Fair Marina around 6am. Ran up toward Bears Den Hollow. Fished around the 3 points there. Caught a few on the jig early. Pretty shallow in the flooded brush on the point closest to the bridge. Went across to the sharpest point and was sitting in about 25ft throwing a jig to the right side of the point. I hooked a big one. At least 4.5lbs. Lost it when I was being lazy and tried to swing it in the boat. Yikes. Didn't get another bite there so we move to the 76 bridge. Got s few bites but no fish. Left there went to the next point on the right and decided to try a drop shot. After that switch I caught a bunch of fish. Early in the day they were 10-15ft. Later in the day they were 15-20. Messed around here and there til about 1pm and went back to the bridge and it was on. I caught around 20 fish on the northern most bridge piling all on drop shot. They were suspended around 20 ft and almost always hit on the initial fall. If not I would raise it up to about 20ft and wiggle it and get a bite. Sonar would light up with streaks and I was able to drop in on them and get bit. Several bites were right on the piling itself. Just threw at the piling and let it hit the concrete and let it drop strait down. It did not matter what color of worm on drop shot. I tried Plum,Aaron's Magic and Morning Dawn. Got off the water around 2:30. My buddy and I caught around 40fish (mostly Kentuckies) and our best 5 prolly would have been 10lbs. Not great size but I learned a lot about drop shotting today. I had a great time.

Yep Cody. Can't wait to get back and try it again. I have had a hard time finding groups of fish like that on Beaver

Seems like if you can find them down here you can catch good numbers. The james river arm has Givin me fits this year. I was down there too from 4pm to about 6pm. I threw cranks on the old bank line picked up 3 keepers. Man I just have a hard time fishing that rig. I need to spend more time doing it and committing to it.

Yep Cody. Can't wait to get back and try it again. I have had a hard time finding groups of fish like that on Beaver

But Beaver is LOADED with bass, or so some say. Funny thing is, those saying that rarely catch much of anything.

ClassActionTransparent.png