Oh what a tangled weave...

Ham

I've been thinking about fishing knots that I use when fishing and I am wondering if there are others I should try. I currently use a no name cinch knot variation, Alberto to join Nanofil to leader, uni to uni to join nano to nano, a simple loop knot for jigs that I swim back, surgeons knot for fly fishing apps, surgeons loop for simple natural bait rigs, and still use a few palomars from time to time.

I've been meanng to look at The Wotton knot.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

Ham been using the Davy knot probably same as wotton knot for tying fly on tippets. Simple, quick to ty even with my eyesight and no real problem breaking fish off unless I put to much pressure on the tippet.

I'm sure that's the one. I need to watch a video and then get some 4 lb test and practice.

Davy knot is the best ever.

Especially when flouro tippet is so expensive.

When you get good at it there is no tag end at all and it doesn't put the curly Q near the eye.

http://www.animatedknots.com/davy/

I'll show it to in person when we have the next OA outing in AR.

I tie it upside down compared to the video.

Pete

If I break off on a jig, I usually look up and see a good casting spot coming. I always go to my quickest favorite knot, which is the uni. I'll occasionally go with a Palomar, but that's a rarity. I guess I'm lazy

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

I tie a variety of knots. For Jigs and worm hooks I like a Palomar. For hardware (crank baits, WTD, etc) I like this knot.

http://www.animatedknots.com/sandiegojam/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

I have always called it the Pitzen knot but on this site it's called a San Diego Jam knot. It's basically a reverse clinch knot and it supposedly has a high % break strength.

Palomar and fluro dont play well together. My buddy johnny uses some bat guano crazy thing that uses a bunch of line to tie, but he's happy with it. I'm happy with my knot that seems close to San Diego Jam.

CNR- That's the San Diego Jam, for sure, but I can see how you confused it. The Pitzen knot is very similar- same method, but don't go through the loop near the hook eye.Quicker than the SDJ because you only go through one loop, but I don't think it would have the same strength for saltwater big game. It's more of a noose than anything, but it's quick, easy, and close to 100% strength. I'll use it for bass, catfish, or streamers while fly fishing.

I'll still use a standard clinch for crappie and panfish, though.

WARNING!! Comments to be interpreted at own risk.

Time spent fishing is never wasted.

I use the Palomar knot for lures, Cinch knot for flies and small hooks. I use the Surgeons knot for leader to tippet connections. I use a Blood knot to splice 2 lines.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

I've wanted to experiment with other knots for quite a while, but when I'm on the water, it's always the palomar for tying hooks, jigs, and snaps...nearly all my hard baits are used with a snap, so basically the palomar is all I ever use except when fly fishing. Fly fishing, I use the palomar, improved clinch, and blood knot to attach tippet to leader. I tied them all so many times I can do it in my sleep, and I know how strong they are. And yes, I use fluoro tippet material and often tie flies onto it with a palomar knot, and have never felt I was at a disadvantage doing so. Oddly enough, however, the way I tie double nymph rigs is to first attach a piece of tippet to the leader that's about 18 inches long, then tie my first fly onto it about six inches below the leader/tippet connection with a palomar, leaving the long tag end. Then I attach my second fly to the end of that tag end with either a palomar or an improved clinch. I put split shot just above the knot attaching tippet to leader, and the knot stops the split shot from sliding down to the fly. If I get the bottom fly hung up and have to break off, it almost invariably breaks at the palomar knot where the top fly is, but just on the down side of the knot, so I end up saving my top fly. There is no line left as a tag end, but the palomar knot at that top fly is still fairly strong.

I don't worry much about the strength of knots. Most good knots, even if advertised as nearly 100% strength, are never as strong a link as an intact line itself, but at the same time are strong enough to do the job. I can tie the knots I tie quickly, easily, and almost foolproof, and I think that's a lot more important than tying some knot that supposed to be better. A 75% knot that you can tie with near perfection every time is better than a 90% knot that you mess up every other time you tie it.