Taking Boys to Bennett Spirngs--Questions??

• Members

So next week I'm taking my three boys aged 8-12 to Bennett Springs.   We do fishing closer to home.....largemouth bass, crappie and catfish, but this is the basically the first time trout fishing.  What kind of equipment do we need?  What zone should we fish in?  I have quite a few questions and want to make this as successful as possible, but have never been there and really don't know what I am getting into.  If anyone has some suggestions for us on how to fish there, especially considering my boys ages I would really appreciate it.  thanks!

Depends on what type of fishing you want to do. Assuming you're going to be using spinning equipment, Zone 2 just above the whistle bridge is a good spot for kids. Lots of fish and a nice long hole.   You'll want UL or at least light spinning gear capable of casting the small jigs required for trout fishing. Rooster tails tend to work well too. 

If your bait fishing Z3 is your only choice. The Suzy hole is a good place to fish  if that's your preference.   

Stop by Weavers tackle and they can give you some good tips on what's working and what gear you need. 3 lb test is my preferred line if I was to use a spinning rig. 

Just let the kids have a good time. Catching fish is always better for kids though. So try to listen to the people that fish there often. 

I haven't used a spin rig in close 15 years so I can't help a ton.  But it's not rocket science. Make sure your kids are aware of fly fisherman and their back cast. A hook in the ear or worse can ruin a trip in a hurry. Fishing from the bank puts you in a bad spot more so while fishing around people fly fishing. 

UL spinner setup with 2-4lb test is optimal as Noluck said up at Zone 2.  If you don't mind getting your feet wet the far side of the darn where theres a bench is a great spot to start the morning as you can stand on the landing and cast out with just your feet in the water.  1/32 jigs in black and yellow or anything olive colored usually works well in the morning.  Occasionally a white jig with a red neck will get them going too.  I'll second Weavers when you get down there to find out the best colors.  Just keep them jigging at a nice rythm and figure out what speed they are biting at on the retrieve.  The little platform right below the bridge is also a good spot if you can make the cast far enough out to hit the second bridge hole.  Good luck! 

I don't know if you have been before or not, but there are three zones, basically flies, lures, and plastics/bait?  

If you are sit and fish... zone three: try powerbait and worms.

If you like to move around and are spin fishing - Zone one inline spinners with single hook and marabou jigs.   Zone two, same thing plus small lures.

I was down there this past week for 4 days through the weekend.  The park was FULL on the weekend.  Ton's of people/family's made it a little crowded.  With that many people you have to be aware of your surroundings.  Adults and kids can get hurt if they don't pay attention.  Either by the knuckle head speedsters in the parking lot or by a hook to the head from a fly fishermen.  If your not familiar with trout fishing let alone the way things are at Bennett you need to pay special attention.  With the weekend crowd I witnessed several occasions where parents had to grab their kids or yell at them when they started to walk out in front of a car/truck.  I wish people would realize down there that it is not a Park as the name implies.  It's a fishing facility that has many roads running through it.

As NoLuck said PLEASE be aware of the fly fishermen.  Our back cast can be a long ways behind us.  We try to position ourselves so we don't hook up with trees and brush as well as pay attention to those spectators who don't.  One of our biggest complaints is about the spectator that walks directly behind us watching us fish.  We make our drift, pick up our line, make the backcast and "bam" we hooked a big "lookylou".

If you plan on wading also be mindful that rocks are slippery, and there are hidden holes that even the seasoned wader can get hung up in.  If you go down with waders on and they fill up with water it could be a life changing adventure. 

Also keep in mind the limit is 4 with possession of 8.  That means if you keep fish nothing more than 4 a day per tag.  When you catch your 3rd fishlet the others go until your ready to quit.  That way you can continue to fish the rest of the day.

Good Luck, if you have questions just ask someone everyone is very friendly except a old coot they call "upstream"!

blue line.png

• Members

thanks, I will keep a close eye on the boys.  My Dad is going to be along to so one can be with him and that will help,   What about a stringer or how should we keep the fish if we catch any?  Since there is a limit, what if I have our fish all on one stringer?  What kind of stringer to use?

EAch boy needs a stringer, each boy needs a light action spinning rod equipped with four pound test, if you are primarily bait fishers get some minnows and try zone three at Suzy hole up to bridge and down to river. Bennett is better when there are fewer people so try a weekday. )Thursday thru Sunday trip gives you a weekday to practice lol good luck. Chain stringer or bag. Put their names on them as well