Question about flows

KCfisher

• Members

To you gentlemen who know the Elk,

I'm a catch/release fly fisherman. I'd like to try floating Indian Creek from maybe Lanagan to the confluence. I've got the flow at ~80 cfs. Is that sufficient flow to use my kickboat?

Appreciate any help. Thanks and have a great weekend. 

It's low at that stage for sure.  I think you will have to drag at some point along the way.  I know in my kayak I would be dragging at the flow in a couple of places.

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

• Members

Thanks for your help. I don't mind dragging through spots as long as it's not just losing proposition out of the gate. 

If I get down there as planned I'll share a post. 

Have a nice evening. 

How much does it draft....and are your legs in the water? Would not hesitate in a shallow draft canoe or kayak at 80cfs, but would expext to drag and walk a bit. Slower, wetter craft..no go..the wind could make a long day for you, and not much room for fire makings and camp gear if you need it. Try if you must, but pack a way to stay warm & hydrated. 

• Members

Thanks for your reply. My boat's a FishCat Panther. Drafts a few inches and holds gear fairly well. Not great in the wind. I've always called it a kick boat, but it seems most refer to it as a pontoon. Great advice, though, thanks. 

To you gentlemen who know the Elk,

I'm a catch/release fly fisherman. I'd like to try floating Indian Creek from maybe Lanagan to the confluence. I've got the flow at ~80 cfs. Is that sufficient flow to use my kickboat?

Appreciate any help. Thanks and have a great weekend. 

Thats a short float, u will be fine but you will drag A LOT. Ill be about 20 miles farther upstream tomorrow, Think of it as a wade trip with a boat for the deep stuff.