Brown trout

bkbying89

I have not seen this topic on the Ozark Angler forum. I remember reading about two origins of brown trout that were brought to the US. One was from Germany the other from Scotland. What is the stock used in Missouri? Is it a hybrid (probable), or one of the two mentioned above. I ask because a lot of the pictures I have seen the trout have red spots which I remember being found on the Scottish browns. I have to admit I have never caught a brown even though I fished for years before I started the fishing more for smallmouth. Anyone have any information on this.

I am not sure what strain of brown trout were stocked in Missouri, but I do know that the Pere Marquette river in Michigan was the first river the german brown was stocked in the US. Hopefully someone here has the answer to your question. 

In 05, the hatchery manager at shepard, told me this story about missouri's choice for brown trout. Originally they started with the same strain of german that arkansas has. They soon discovered that this fish had a terrible survival rate because it was aggressive and easy to catch. They settled on a fish that was basically scared of its own shadow. That fish was and still is, as far as I know, the Sheep Creek strain. I do not know where it originates from. And recently Phil told me that they are experimenting with the triploid brown. If i can recall correctly, the seaforellen fish is from scotland. Off the subject, I would also like to see a triploid rainbow introduced. 

• 2 weeks later...

Why introduce triploid trout? As I've read they are sterile. If the idea is they are a non-compatible species the cats out of the bag already. Smallmouth bass, panfish and our mid-west weather would probably take them out eventually. Do they grow faster and larger?

9 hours ago, bkbying89 said:

Why introduce triploid trout? As I've read they are sterile. If the idea is they are a non-compatible species the cats out of the bag already. Smallmouth bass, panfish and our mid-west weather would probably take them out eventually. Do they grow faster and larger?

About 99% of missouri's fishable trout population comes from the hatchery.The process they use to produce the triploid would be done during the normal and annual spawning process they do in the hatchery. I don't suspect that the trout would be in danger from predators, but they may be like the original german strain, and too easy to catch. This fish grows large, and could possibly bring some 40 pound fish to lake taneycomo. I would like to see this in my lifetime. 

3 hours ago, laker67 said:

This fish grows large, and could possibly bring some 40 pound fish to lake taneycomo. I would like to see this in my lifetime. 

I completely agree Rick. 

13 hours ago, bkbying89 said:

Spawning may happen with the browns that are already in the lake, but it is largely unsuccessful due to many obvious factors.  I'm not sure how smallmouth and panfish will take out a stocker sized brown trout, but to each his own. 

There are two types of people. Those who dream dreams and wish, then there are the do'ers. I am a do'er!

Motroutbum.

Spawning may happen with the browns that are already in the lake, but it is largely unsuccessful due to many obvious factors.  I'm not sure how smallmouth and panfish will take out a stocker sized brown trout, but to each his own.

I was referring to nest destruction by panfish and predation of fry by bass and other fish.