new to fly fishing

shawncuz

Welcome aboard the crazy train.  The most honest answer to your question is it depends, but here is my two cents.

1. Find a fly shop in your area (depends on where you live).  I don't mean bass pro or cabelas, but an honest to goodness fly shop.  Don't get me wrong they can help, but not like a true fly shop will.
  2. Almost all fly shops will offer free casting lessons.  Take them.  Being able to cast your line will make this hobby more enjoyable.
  3. Decide on what you want to fish for.  Panfish are the easiest and trout can be the hardest.  (it depends). 
    1. If you like bluegill fishing, man oh man is fly fishing top water flies a blast.
  4. Back to the fly shop, tell them what you want to fish for and ask for advice. 
    1. Don't be like me and try everything at once.  Pick one thing and go with that until you are comfortable with it.
  5. If you don't have ready access to a fly shop... YouTube
  6. If you have the funds... Get a guide that specializes in fly fishing.  Tell him/her that you are new and want to start with basic fly casting.  I promise you will learn more in one day from a good guy then months trying to figure it out on your own.  

Mic makes some good points but I would find somebody to take you fly fishing. You don't have to worry about species right now, trout are going to be the easiest this time of year. The fly parks offer a lot of easy fishing right now if the fish haven't all washed away. You can hang out at the flyshop and watch youtube videos all you want but nothing compares to being on the water with somebody that knows what they are doing.

I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that would give a rookie a few pointers on the stream. Where are you located?

17 minutes ago, shawncuz said:

I'm in Lockwood not far from Stockton lake.

Perfect. Well it would be perfect for me anyways. I love Stockton. Lot's of good white bass fishing in the spring. Lot's of good gill and bass fishing water. Your only issue right now is some active fish. And until it warms up a bit the trout are going to be it. You can go after the others but it's going to be extremely frustrating until we get to spring. Don't let trout worry you. They aren't that smart, at least the ones in the trout parks aren't. They see something that looks like food and they will eat it.

The best place to start is learning to cast. That should be priority number one.

What weight rod did you get? What flies do you have? Are you going to tie your own?

I would spend the next 2 months doing research and practice casting and such. There is tons of info available online and I would be reading myself to sleep every night.  Also start filling up that fly box and a couple others. I am nowhere near Stockton but will answer questions via message if needed. Not much point in pursuing perch/white bass in January.