Article on big bass behavior

Quillback

I Was not  talking to a scientist I was talking  to fishermen.  it is interesting to read. I can guarantee you it is no  bible. I would not depend in anything other than a general way to catch fish. There are a million variables you need to consider. Most good fishermen would rely on there instincts and experience a lot more.   i agree the Eupopeans might just have been slow. But the Viking were here on the east coast long before he was. the Chinese were on our west coast as well. 

Instincts and experience based on what?Incomplete scientific research? Everyone uses the scientific method in some form or fashion...fisherman especially so, otherwise the fishing industry would be broke. Do fishermen not try to gain more information by trying different techniques? Sounds awfully scientific...and maybe it's called fishing not catching because it's incomplete science.

6 hours ago, Iclass said:

If each lake/river is unique, you might assume each fish is unique as well. Some go back home, some adjust to new area.

I think that's right.  I read an interesting article a long time ago that was written by a biologist in charge of the brooder bass program in Texas.  Texas raises big Florida-strain bass to stock in some of their lakes, and they've constantly tried to increase the potential size the stockers they raise can grow to.  They had a program (and maybe still do) asking anglers who catch a bass weighing (I think) 9 lbs. or more to take care of it, keep it alive, and give it to their conservation department to use those good genetics for breeding.  The fella who wrote the article I read was responsible for taking care of the big 'ol sows they'd been given in a hatchery environment that was pretty natural - a series of connected ponds with brush and rocks for cover and some forage food for the bass.

In time, he got to know those fish personally of course, and the point of the article was that he'd been surprised to learn that they were distinct individuals, each with their own preferences, behaviors, and almost ...... personalities!  Some preferred rocks for cover and that's where they stayed, some preferred brush or trees, some ate crawfish almost exclusively, some preferred minnows, some worms and insects.  Some of them ate something every day or several times a day, others only fed once every two or three days.  They were active at different times, too - some preferred night, and some morning or evening twilight.

There were some general similarities in behavior - none of the big bass was most active in the middle of the day, though they could get active then real quick if something special like a frog came by.  Low pressure and approaching storms made them all more active and prone to feed, too - but a lot of their behavior was according to each individual fish and real hard to predict in general for the whole bunch.  I think that's kinda the way all of God's creatures are, don't you?

I can't get excited about frankenstien fish whose DNA has been tinkered with. There's just something about that, that doesn't sit well with me.  I can't even get into hybrid Stripers that much.  Sure they are fun to catch but they just aren't real to me.   The last thing I want is some team of bullshit biologists tampering with our native fish.  Leave them alone before all we have left are genetically altered fish swimming in our waterways. 

Once you set those freaks free you can't reverse that crap.  

3 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

I can't get excited about frankenstien fish whose DNA has been tinkered with. There's just something about that, that doesn't sit well with me.  I can't even get into hybrid Stripers that much.  Sure they are fun to catch but they just aren't real to me.   The last thing I want is some team of bullshit biologists tampering with our native fish.  Leave them alone before all we have left are genetically altered fish swimming in our waterways. 

Once you set those freaks free you can't reverse that crap.  

Texas isn't tampering with DNA, they're just incorporating the biggest fish they can find into their bass stocking program.  There's nothing wrong with selecting good genetics to carry on.   If you were raising tomatoes, cattle, or anything else, you'd do the same - save the seeds out of that BIG 'mater for next year!  :D

Yeah but that body of water will never have just pure strain LM in it again.  And maybe....just MAYBE one day they'll wish that's what they had, for one reason or another.  

These biologists aren't as smart as they pretend to be. I'd rather trust mother nature for future fish populations. Lots of unforseen consequences are possible when you start mixing genetics.  15 years from now they might have bass that are big but won't jump.  Or fish that grow fast but die in about 6-8 years, so if you end up with two bad spawns in a row you loose 60% of your bass populations.  You never know!

Some day you might wish for a plain ol' mater, and getting your hands on one might be impossible. :)

I'd personally like to take all these "biologists" out at the knees. I don't trust them because there are too many of them out there anxious for something to do.

6 minutes ago, Iclass said:

When a pure strain LM is bred with a pure strain LM, all that you can get is more pure strain LM. 

That's right, and we should keep it that way.   Don't be spreading Florida bass (altered Texas freaks, or any others) across the nation.