Favorite Tying Vise

I'm thinking of upgrading.  What vises do you all love?  For value?  If cost were no object?

I use a a Griffin Spider vise and it is ok.  I don't like that the hook clamp tension is created by a rubber o-ring.  In bigger streamers where a lot of tension on the thread is needed, it tends to slip.  Works great for all other ties, but I'm tying more streamers lately.

Cheers.

I wish I had more time more than I wish I had more money.

I use a Renzetti Traveler.  Have used it for about 25 years now.  I upgraded it once when they cam out with the cam lever jaws, I replaced my old screw jaw one.

It holds any size fly up to 2/0 very well.  Full rotary, quick to mount a hook, and fairly reasonable for price.  It is a high quality vice with good reviews.  If you are tying alot of large flies, they have a saltwater version for big hooks.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

^that, but never upgraded to the cam. Pedestal version. Only other vises I've used were an old Thompson c-clamp and a Regal which was pretty good. 

John

15 hours ago, podum said:

I don't like that the hook clamp tension is created by a rubber o-ring.  In bigger streamers where a lot of tension on the thread is needed, it tends to slip.

I'm confused by this. I've been tying on a Spider for at least 12 years and mostly tie large patterns. I never have had a problem with slipping. The rubber o-ring on mine has nothing to do with clamp tension. It's just there to open the jaws once tension is released.

Like anything else try before you buy and know exactly what you want your vise to do. I use a 16 year old renzetti traveler with the rubber o ring I have considered upgrading a couple of times but I don't have any reason to do so I have also tried a few of the vises I wanted to upgrade to that I just didn't like at all. For me I need 3 things in a vise pedestal base true rotary and a vise that will hold 5/0 to size 20 hooks anything else is just noise for me.

If I was into dubbing brushes and used the rotary function a lot in the tying process I would likely buy a nor vise.

Flysmallie, on my Griffin, the main tension mechanism is a dial that widens with the O Ring providing resistance.  This is the main tension holding the hook. 

I wish I had more time more than I wish I had more money.

39 minutes ago, podum said:

Flysmallie, on my Griffin, the main tension mechanism is a dial that widens with the O Ring providing resistance.  This is the main tension holding the hook. 

Yep that's like mine. Adjust the front small screw tight first and then the big screw dial behind to pivot on the front screw and provide tension to the hook. All the o-ring does is provide tension to open the jaws once the dial is released. It's held everything from a 20 to a 4/0.