Favorite Tying Vise

• 1 year later...

I've been using an old Regal vise that my father used a while back and it has been nothing but great for me. It's a little iffy on larger flies but I can still manage to lock them down. Will be upgrading to a vise with a larger jaw. 

Anyone have experience with a vise regarding larger streamers?

Live count (10/19/17) : Streamers lost to Taneycomo's Giant Squid = 12

12 hours ago, Ozarks Chillbilly said:

I've been using an old Regal vise that my father used a while back and it has been nothing but great for me. It's a little iffy on larger flies but I can still manage to lock them down. Will be upgrading to a vise with a larger jaw. 

Anyone have experience with a vise regarding larger streamers?

I just did some size 4/0 and 6/0 Peacock bass flies on my Peak, didn't have any issues. The one thing I have noticed is you can't crank it down that hard because you can snap the pin in the cam from too much pressure (I know from experience!). It holds well enough. I haven't done any major deer hair work where I need to put a ton of pressure on the hook - Brian Wise has been using the Jurassic jaws ( I think that's what they're called) from Peak and it looks like those would be sweet for big hooks. 

I've done hundreds and hundreds of 2/0 hooks on both my Peak and Anvil Atlas (it's now Wolff Indiana, not Anvil), and I have no *major* complaints *about the jaws*.

- Nick