Battery suggestions

dprice

7 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Oh boy, here we go again :D

Not gonna argue it but just so you can't say you were never warned.....  Using your outboard charging system to "help maintain" your TM batteries is a bad idea.   Outboard stators and voltage regulators are designed to maintain the cranking battery ONLY, and an overheated VR will cost you a hell of a lot more than a pair of batteries will.  

But by all means do as you wish, after all us outboard techs have bills to pay too. :)

I've heard this.  As this is my 2nd pro xs on same rig  

But I don't see how a  charge while you run setup   Keeps this damage from happening  ( or is this unsafe also ?)

do you mind explaining ?

Dprice

priceheatingair.com 

4 minutes ago, dprice said:

I don't see how a  charge while you run setup   Keeps this damage from happening  ( or is this unsafe also ?)

do you mind explaining ?

Too much typing involved for me now, but I have explained it on here previously (don't remember which thread it was in).

Honestly though, a single battery that will not recharge in a fairly short time will result in a overheated outboard charging circuit.  Adding 2 more LOW batteries (parallel) into the circuit is just begging for it.      Even if the charging system was beefed up to handle it (which isn't possible using OEM parts) charging any battery at 40amps for any sufficient length of time BOILS the battery.  And a boiing battery puts off alot of caustic/flammable gas.  Do you really want to be bouncing down the lake boiling 2-3 batteries at the same time ?   I don't. 

I have to go along with fishingwrench on that. One thing to remember is that power inverters are notoriously inefficient. They eat up about 30% of the power being sent to them for inverting. Overloading them is not the best idea.

Getting back to batteries,  like others have said, do your wallet a favor and get, while maybe not the cheapest, but a good value battery.  I usually buy voyagers because I can get them thru work.  But, take care of them and they'll take care of you.  My buddy believes in the gel-type, pays between 2 and 3 hundred bucks each. I pay about that much for all three of my batteries.  And they last no longer than my cheapies!  I can usually see a difference on my trolling motor batteries in the 4th year.  I've gotten 7 or 8 years out of my starter battery.  Do the math!

@lozcrappie

2 hours ago, dprice said:

Wrench Is this the same for  dual pro crs2 system ?

Well yeah.   I mean, I don't wanna slam anybody's product but I know outboard charging systems as well as anybody I think, and I can't imagine any way to pull off what they claim without overheating the stator/voltage reg. 

Tell ya what, forget what I say and call your engine manufacturer, tell them you have a new outboard and ask if installing such a unit will effect your warranty at all.   Let us know what they say.

Pro Guide batteries weren't very good to me. Both of them crapped out after 1 year. They literally had less than 60hrs of trolling time on them. I dont know what happened, but I dont not recommend them, Maybe somebody else had a better experience with them. 

16 minutes ago, TrophyFishR said:

Pro Guide batteries weren't very good to me. Both of them crapped out after 1 year. They literally had less than 60hrs of trolling time on them. I dont know what happened, but I dont not recommend them, Maybe somebody else had a better experience with them. 

Thats happened to me a few times...with a few different brands...moral of the story is to just get new batteries all the time.  Realistically with the money we spend on rods and reels and lures and gas and such, 200 bucks a year for new batteries (if that) is money well spent.  Take your old ones back (they get recycled), or use em for other things that wont ruin your day with a failure. 

15 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Oh boy, here we go again :D

Not gonna argue it but just so you can't say you were never warned.....  Using your outboard charging system to "help maintain" your TM batteries is a bad idea.   Outboard stators and voltage regulators are designed to maintain the cranking battery ONLY, and an overheated VR will cost you a hell of a lot more than a pair of batteries will.  

But by all means do as you wish, after all us outboard techs have bills to pay too. :)

IMG_20151223_110933238.jpg.006344e14d401

And there is always the risk of having two dead batteries and waving a tow rope at other boats passing by if you are trying to charge both at the same time.