Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Fishingmill

Current River on 2/19/16

Recommended Posts

I am not on Facebook, and I don't necessarily consider myself naive, but, maybe, or obviously, I am. Completely unaware of Facebook postings of exact spots to fish. 

Hmm. Troublesome to say the least. Still think the high water was and is detrimental in the short term, but, new evidence coming in..

One of, if not THE, premier trout sections in Missouri. Is it under fire? Being overused? It is a public stream nevertheless.

Questions, questions. No answers.

 

batty-cold.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a river though.  Are there really any "secret" holes?

It's like saying "Oh at Montauk, by that big rock, that's my secret hole.  There's a lot of fish there"

People still have to know how to catch the fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, moguy1973 said:

It's a river though.  Are there really any "secret" holes?

It's like saying "Oh at Montauk, by that big rock, that's my secret hole.  There's a lot of fish there"

People still have to know how to catch the fish.

It definitely lowers the learning curve for those fisherman that don't put in the time to learn things on their own. And for the people that know how to catch fish, it gives em an exact location they can go put their skills to use. The other thing is... If you see report after report of nice fish being caught and someone tells you exactly where it's happening, does that not make you want to go get in on the fun? Maybe that's not your thing but it's naive to think that a large chunk of internet lurkers aren't just searching for that type of information to go use at their disposal... There's a lot of lazy folks out there and if someone is willing to give them information for free and they don't have to work for it... They will gladly take it and exploit it. The last thing I want when I find a good spot is to go out the next time and see several boats or people sitting on that spot. Rivers fish much smaller than lakes so posting river/stream spots is more detrimental in my mind. These are just my opinions, but I've seen it happen first hand and seen the aftermath... And let me tell you it sucks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MOsmallies said:

It definitely lowers the learning curve for those fisherman that don't put in the time to learn things on their own. And for the people that know how to catch fish, it gives em an exact location they can go put their skills to use. The other thing is... If you see report after report of nice fish being caught and someone tells you exactly where it's happening, does that not make you want to go get in on the fun? Maybe that's not your thing but it's naive to think that a large chunk of internet lurkers aren't just searching for that type of information to go use at their disposal... There's a lot of lazy folks out there and if someone is willing to give them information for free and they don't have to work for it... They will gladly take it and exploit it. The last thing I want when I find a good spot is to go out the next time and see several boats or people sitting on that spot. Rivers fish much smaller than lakes so posting river/stream spots is more detrimental in my mind. These are just my opinions, but I've seen it happen first hand and seen the aftermath... And let me tell you it sucks!

agreed 100%......too many spots on rivers and creeks have been hosed by the internet zombies like this ahole https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2oT15J2BMM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MOsmallies said:

It definitely lowers the learning curve for those fisherman that don't put in the time to learn things on their own. And for the people that know how to catch fish, it gives em an exact location they can go put their skills to use. The other thing is... If you see report after report of nice fish being caught and someone tells you exactly where it's happening, does that not make you want to go get in on the fun? Maybe that's not your thing but it's naive to think that a large chunk of internet lurkers aren't just searching for that type of information to go use at their disposal... There's a lot of lazy folks out there and if someone is willing to give them information for free and they don't have to work for it... They will gladly take it and exploit it. The last thing I want when I find a good spot is to go out the next time and see several boats or people sitting on that spot. Rivers fish much smaller than lakes so posting river/stream spots is more detrimental in my mind. These are just my opinions, but I've seen it happen first hand and seen the aftermath... And let me tell you it sucks!

 

 

Exactly.  It took a long time before I was able to consistently catch more than 1-2 fish on the Current, a lot of time sitting on the bank scratching my head and trying to put something together.  There's a lot of learning that goes on when you have that sort of experience, you're able to see where fish lie and how they react and develop a skill set you're then able to apply to other systems- for me, that was as much the reward as the actual fish. 

To me it seems the "Zero to Hero" crowd, in general, takes the whole thing way too seriously and they're frequently the ones leeching info online to get their rocks off.  It's harmless I know, but I tend to roll my eyes- mostly because aside from the fish I'm not sure what it is they're gleaning from the experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not worried. You get back what you put in on that creek. JoeD has and he catches. Have fished that river since 1980 or so and know many who fish it. Not that easy down there. Plan your shot, sneak up, and make your first cast count. Most fisherman  want to stay in a "honey hole" and mole whack on spooked fish. Fine with me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only made it down once this winter and the fishing was great, but when it is slow you would swear there are no fish in the river. Happened to me many times. The biggest fish i catch in that river have not been in obvious places. The nice thing about the current is you catch enought to keep coming back, but it is challenging enough you earn those bigger ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gavin @stlfisher Could not agree more, at the end of the day, no matter if there are GPS coordinates on the internet, nothing but time on the water can put fish on the end of the line. Presentation, presentation, presentation is key on the current. Any Jamoke can read all the info they can ingest on the internet, but at the end of the day, time on the water is the only way your really learning and putting hooks in them, the internet does not teach you presentation, fly choice, and depth when your stream side. Of course knowing where to go is always great, but the river changes constantly, and fish move, its never the same. Learning to evaluate the situation and adapt cannot be obtained from a few Facebook posts. 

Just my opinion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2016 at 10:43 AM, Smalliebigs said:

agreed 100%......too many spots on rivers and creeks have been hosed by the internet zombies like this ahole https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2oT15J2BMM

Wow...I couldn't finish watching that. Gotta advertise for his guided river service that no one will buy (hopefully) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was down there this past Sunday fishing below Baptist and was amazed at how much the runs, deep pools, and riffles had changed in location since my last trip down there in December. I also would agree with others that there seem to be less fish in the river now. I did see several browns and rainbows but not nearly the numbers of fish or the large sized browns I'm used to seeing in particular holes when I've been there in the past. I gave it about an hour and a half and then decided to go see if I could find some smallmouth on the Meramec up-stream of the spring branch. Glad I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.