Ouch

Mitch f

I was driving back with my business partner from Wichita two weeks ago. With my business partner driving,  I started to notice a dull pain around the right side of my back. Within an hour or so, I was throwing up in my car, racked with a wretched pain. Even though I've never had one, I knew exactly what it was. Both my father and brother had kidney stones in their late 40's, I always kind of figured it was destiny. 

I remember driving my father to the ER when I was around 16 years old. Him laying in the back seat moaning absolutely scared me to death, because at the time, we didn't know what it was. My brothers came on almost immediately, mine took about an hour to get to max pain. 

When I reached an ER in Blue Springs, I was at my wits end. The pain was as though someone was screaming in your ear and no one else could hear. The check in process was very annoying to say the least. As soon as the IV was attached they pumped me full of a delicious warmth of medication. 

Three days later I passed it....by the way the last "few" inches were almost a non issue, which was different than I've been told. Let's hope this doesn't happen again!

The next day I sheepishly went out of town for 11 days, I haven't had any follow up issues. I leave to come home tomorrow! 

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

Nothing soothes quite as fast as properly administered narcotics, like a soft warm blanket you wrap yourself in when in real pain.  Glad it passed so quickly hope I never have to experience it for myself, although my family history says my time is coming.

Let me just say this about that, if you have not ever had one " GOOD FOR YOU " & if you ever have one " YOU WILL NEVER FORGET IT " !!!!!!! Once you have had ( SORRY TO BE THE BEARER OF BAD NEWS ) there is a good chance you will again, just the way it goes. Over the years I have had 4, takes a lot to get me to say ouch but, the 1ST. one put me on my knees, had me crying, in the emergency room for hours, never felt anything like it. My nose is broken in 6 places due to my love of ice hockey & each & every one of those breaks was a cake walk / day in the park compared to kidney stones. Give me a choice of a stick in the face or a kidney stone, " SWING THE STICK MAN " !!!!!!! Only thing I can say good about the situation is each & every one since the 1st. has been easier to handle, ( SEEM LESS INTENSE ) no smaller in size but less pain, less trauma overall, & no visits to the ER needed. Don't know if that is what others have experienced but that's my story & I am sticking to it. Will pass along one bit of advice I was given by an ER nurse & my son who is an ER DR. & I swear by it " BUT YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW IT DAILY " !!!!!!! Up in the morning before any other liquids drink a " BIG GLASS OF CRANBERRY JUICE " @ minimum of 8 ounces, I do 12, then during your day " LOTS & LOTS OF WATER " & if you can handle it ( SOME FOLKS CAN'T, CAUSES THEM TO HAVE TO RISE & PEE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT ) another " BIG GLASS OF CRANBERRY JUICE " before bed. When I have had problems is when I thought hell things are going so well I don't need to follow this regiment any longer & start to cheat. Also, not CRANBERRY JUICE COCKTAIL, not CRANAPPLE, not CRANGRAPE, nothing but " 100 % CRANBERRY JUICE " & coffee & tea don't count as water, " 100% WATER NO ADDITIVES " !!!!!!! Yeah I still love & drink coffee & tea & Jim & Jack & Wild Turkey & Makers Mark & will continue to consume them as long as I can but, I still do my best to make the " CRANBERRY JUICE & WATER THE TOP PRIORITY" as I know what lies ahead if I don't. Finally a word about some food stuffs you may enjoy that can help with the production of kidney stones, like peanuts, like chocolate, like peanut butter, like salt, well, that's not good as they all have been tied to the formation of kidney stones. How lucky am I, " I LOVE REESE'S PEANUT BUTTER CUPS " especially the ones with extra peanuts crushed up in them & my wife & kids love to give them to me as gifts on my b-day, fathers day, XMASS, I hope not but maybe this is there way of getting even. Good luck & keep " FLUSHING THOSE KIDNEYS " !!!!!!!     

Rock View Resort

Table Rock Lake

Greg Pope, Owner/Operator & Fishing Guide

Been there done that, got the t-shirt for not passing the stone and instead having it removed.  None of it was any fun at all.  Indeed, the most intense pain I have ever had.  And with two back surgeries, five knee repairs, two knee replacements and one complete rotator cuff tear and repair, I'm somewhat of an expert on pain.

I'm in the same boat.  Just had an attack a couple of weeks ago.  Only relief, iv pain drugs.  Took two days to get rid of the thing.  Found out I have another stone in the other kidney.  Now I'm afraid to be anywhere without being in easy range of an ER!!!!!

• Members

My first was in 1999. I had been having back pain, and was told by a MD that I had a partially herniated disk. Light duty at work, physical therapy, and all that stuff for 11 months in 1998. Then went to p and it was just blood. Scared me a lot. Xrays showed a native pecan sized stone 3/4 way down in my urethra (sp) tube. Not a messed up disk! Sound waves to blast it,  trip to ER for drainage tube through my back into right kidney that night, then 2 laser procedures to break it up more and them driving a semi up my d*&^% and turning around  to drive back out twice and it was mostly gone. Found out last year in Jan. I had 3 in my left kidney and 3 in my right kidney the size of  black-eyed peas. Past one in June.  Uroligist was amazed I passed it.I have 5 more to go. Not looking forward to it. I drink little bit of coffee, green tea all day, 7-up some, cranberry and cherry juice non sweetened, water, and of course Jack, Crown, and beer. Mine are uric acid, not calcium. Makes a difference in what you can drink and eat. Easy on beef, sugar, chocolate, sodas, salt. Never drink regular tea or dark sodas.