4-15 crappie report - 60mm

Skeeter ZX190

Put in at Brown Bend at 7:30.  Got off the water at 2:00.  Went back in one of the larger creek arms.  Water temps were 59 to 60.  Ended up with 19 crappie all over 10 inches, and a bonus walleye.  We concentrated on the shallow bite.  We saw lots of spider rig boats but it didn't seem like they were tearing them up on the deeper bite.  We caught most of the fish on a 1/16 ounce white grub.  Almost half of them were females and the eggs were still very firm.  The males hadn't really turned that black yet.  There was only one spot where we caught several fish.  Most were spread out.

Almost exact same report I would give for upper ends of Truman.  Except maybe more fish, limited out by 11 c&r for a few hours tossing perfectly good 10 inchers back.  Almost all were within a few feet of the bank.  No big piles in one place just keep moving and covering the bank, turn around and go back if it was good.  Actively spawning males with ragged tales, plenty of females that would flow eggs with a little pressure.  Turkeys gobbling, man I love spring.

Fished around the 43-45mm and must say I thought it would be better this past weekend.  Caught some fish, but would consider it much slower than recent years.  One here and one there with a couple of multi fish spots.  Been fishing the same areas for 25 years.  Spawning areas that have consistently produced fish in the past were relatively unproductive.  Not sure if they are just getting started and the best is yet to come or things have changed.  Water getting real clear may be impacting the shallow bite.  C&R several legal fish (9-10.5") that were real thin.