OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
moguy1973

South Dakota smallie record broken

Look at the belly on this momma!  That's a fat smallmouth bass. 7lb 3oz.  That's what it'll take to break the Missouri record.

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1664862-angler-breaks-sd-smallmouth-record-on-quest

lyal-record-smallmouth-bass-2016-SD.jpg

Question...is that fish REALLY so much more of a trophy than, say, the 21 inch 5 pounder that Hog Wally caught recently?  It's so abnormally fat that it's freakish, but it looks like it may have both full sacs of eggs and a full belly as well, and if caught a month from now would have probably weighed considerably less.  Sometimes I think we're too fixated on weight, which can change greatly over short time periods, and too little impressed with length.

1 minute ago, Al Agnew said:

Question...is that fish REALLY so much more of a trophy than, say, the 21 inch 5 pounder that Hog Wally caught recently?  It's so abnormally fat that it's freakish, but it looks like it may have both full sacs of eggs and a full belly as well, and if caught a month from now would have probably weighed considerably less.  Sometimes I think we're too fixated on weight, which can change greatly over short time periods, and too little impressed with length.

Spot on! That's why I always preferred the Gasconade type smallmouth, a genetically long sleek smallmouth. When one of those gets fat, it looks nothing like that South Dakota fish. It's kind of like an F-15 Eagle vs the F-18 Hornet (My old McDonnell Douglas coming out). 

39 minutes ago, Al Agnew said:

Unbelievable.

A guy catches a state record fish, and you guys are turning your noses up at it. And all because it's not long enough in your opinion? 

14 minutes ago, Mitch f said:

I know it's tough Chief, since your gig at the Village People went south, it's hard to find a queer Indian gig. Perhaps you should reidentify as Pocahontas, this way you could wear a dress and be a cheerleader for the MDC.... Your estrogen will weaken your grip so you might only be able to handle the much smaller Neosho strain smallmouth.

I don't know what I was thinking.