bear !

dan hufferd

I was in the rock creek area today and a couple stopped and asked if I had seen that bear. I did not They said they got a picture, I told them to post it on the forum.

Later at the Marina I asked the water patrol, he said the couple had talked to him as well.

The bear had to walk right through someones yard to get to the water, I wish I could have seen it

Branson had at least 7 bears last year in the city limits.  They were caught digging in trash cans and did some damage to bee hives in the rural areas.  I know the folks up the Kings River used to see them on a weekly basis, just at the Carroll, Stone and Barry county line.  I believe that a few years ago Denny's son had a trail camera picture of one near Roaring River in his deer feeders Barry/Carroll Counties.

Also last year Phil Stone took a video of one swimming Bull Shoals near Elbow Creek.  It was on KY 3 news and I think he just took it with his phone.  It was a total Monster Cinnamon colored Black Bear.  Huge Boar.

At Harrison at the Archery Shop they have an entire counter top of pictures of Archery Killed bears within 30 minutes of Branson, with some absolutely huge bears.  I know Lisa Lilley's husband Paul has a hunting lease just inside the Arkansas Border, I believe also in Carroll County and they are about as common as seeing deer.  He said last year he helped load one into a Pickup that he estimated to be 400 pounds.  He said it took an army of guys to get it in the back of the truck.

There is some great TV stuff from Arkansas about how their dept of Conservation is working with the bears in this area.  Fantastic

OK, after reading this I'm starting to believe our visiting Daughter's story about her BIG dog jumping over the deck railing and chasing one down the shoreline last night about 02:30.  Baxter area. 

Whatever you do, just don't let any of those big kitties wander over into Arkansas. They aren't allowed here. Never been any here. Not a one. Our AGFC will be happy to confirm that for you. No such thing as panthers, mountain lions, etc. in Arkansas. :o

ClassActionTransparent.png

Have to be honest, I'm torn about the bear population increasing. They are awe inspiring at a distance, but can be a nuisance without equal up close. Once they start coming into cities after trash, they basically become a 400 pound raccoon. Human-bear interactions tend to not be positive for either species when they happen in close quarters.

I have my doubts that some of the visitors to the Ozarks, and local residents, will follow bear country rules about food, trash, etc. Takes some diligence to prevent problems.

I have heard of panthers and bobcats roaming the Ozarks, but this is a first about a bear or bears around here. Maybe we need to send them to Arkansas, heck they probably came from Arkansas to begin with. 

I know everything about nothing and know nothing about everything!

Bruce Philips

I've seen a bear in Branson North subdivision, In the heart of town. Big black bear, walking down the street, literally. 

I have also seen multiple bears out around the Bear Creek area, north of town, between 65 and 13 in the deep Ozarks. 

• Members
7 hours ago, Champ188 said:

Whatever you do, just don't let any of those big kitties wander over into Arkansas. They aren't allowed here. Never been any here. Not a one. Our AGFC will be happy to confirm that for you. No such thing as panthers, mountain lions, etc. in Arkansas. :o

Yeah right Champ, no mosquito's either......:lol: