OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dwiebenga

Technique Question

I am going to get into the football jig game this year. It is my new technique this year. I noticed that the jewel jigs have two small hoops on the back of the collar. These are obviously for rattles. Does anyone put rattles in the jig. Are there certain conditions that you use them. Or is it simply up to the angler?

In our super-clear water on the White River Chain of lakes, most do not add rattles. Under colored conditions during rains of off color water times they are easy to attach.

90% of Football jig fishing is done in either late Summer or Fall on the rock, not so much now thru August.

The little 5/16 round head is usually the ticket from now thru Spring.

Not saying the FB won't catchem, but most of us go to the little guy.

Is it the fact that at this time of year the forage is smaller Bill or do the Bass just seem to his the smaller presentations more now?

Another question to go with that, r u just using some C-tail grubs or is there something else that you find works well?

Myself, I like to use a 4 or 6 inch worn on a 1/8 oz darterhead or /16 roundhead. Although I will try a c tail or twin tail grub on occasion. Trying my luck again tomorrow. This will be my second trip on the lake. I have yet to get bit. HAHA.

There is a couple of parts to this reply, and I'll start with the C-tail.

The C-tail is a fantastic bait to start swimming on deep channel swings at this time of year for the next month or so. As water temps rise the fish will move up in the water column and suspend or cruise, starting on the channel swings where the channel comes to the bank.

If pole timber is present you can swim these grubs thru the timber and for the most part fish them in locations you would fish the suspending jerk bait.

I prefer either 1/4 or 3/16 oz heads on white or smoke color 4 inch grubs. You will loose some. I swim my grubs on 6lb. Some of the boys that fish Beaver in the Spring will use Smimming Minnows and Swim them on 4lb.

As the water warms and these fish start to move to spawning location, nothing works better for Big Smallies than swimming these grubs on flat gravel, or gentle slopes of fist size rock.

The reason we prefer the 5/16 head this time of year, are the fish are for the most part going to start to move shallow and the smaller head negotiates the crawfish hidey holes better than the football. Way less hangups.

The origional purpose for the FB was to fish deep and maintain the jig on the bottom while either dragging it like a rig, or hopping it back to the boat.

The round heads in lesser weight have a tendency to swim when fished in that 25 to 40 ft. range. Sometimes that is good however.

I will be jerking the rogue's for another month at least, and I will live and die with it, unless I'm guiding and just flat have to get bit another way.

Guiding and fun fishing are two seperate and completely different agendas.

If I am fishing on my own, I try to bend them to my way of thinking. Does not always work.

When we are guiding we will do what ever it takes and our absolute best to get the clients bit.

I do take lots of guys this time of year that would rather catch 5 rouge fish a day instead of 20 any other way, or just want to learn a stick bait.

Also take guys and gals in the Summer that only want the topwater bite early in the morning and as soon as its is over so are they. Could care less about catching a fish dragging a splitshot rig, or dropshotting.

Most folks, however just want to have a great time and they don't care how or how many they catch.

I am not an expert by any means and one of the reasons I probably catch fish on this is because of my confidence with the bait, and I always have one tied on. I like to use a 4 inch pumpkin green, or watermelon green chomper on a 3/16 ounce football head jig. I also put a worm rattle in the tail, and give a spray of garlic bang 2-3 times during the trip. Not sure if any of this helps me catch fish or if it just helps my fishing OCD tendencies. I do know that for the last 6 years from the middle of March to the end of April I have caught my biggest fish of the year on this rig. Now for me this is only a five or six pound fish, but I will take one of thoes any day.

Also Bill do you think a rattle helps for night fishing?

Jay, I have not been able to find a FB head that small. I would try one in that size if I could find it. If you don't mind, tell me what brand you are using? 1/2 is as small as I can seem to find from Jewel.

March thru May is when everyone catches there biggest fish on the Rock. That's big fish time. It is the one time we have a chance at catching a real trophy, like your 5 and 6 pounders. Anyone would be proud of that type of quality. Sounds like you are doing really well, on the Rock.

Also, a rattle at night I'm sure wouldn't hurt.

Sorry typo, I usally use 1/2 and up on the footballs, some guys I know use the crappie like round head jigs in the small sizes on the river with the chompers and for some reason that was stuck in my head.

You peaked my interest so I really started looking and found that Arkie, makes a 3/16th. Stand-up Football head. I thought that was probably what you were talking about.

Dosen't matter what size, it sounds like it's working great for ya.