Puglisi Flies

Just wanted to share a Puglisi fly, known to many, that I love fishing for Ozarks Bass. I tie a lot of these patterns to imitate Gizzard Shad. My favorite color variations are chartreuse over white and gray or olive over white. I use Gamagatsu Stinger hooks in size 1 to 2/0. I weight the body with lead wraps (about 10) and tie it upside down because of the weight. There are a lot of great flies out there for Bass, but I really like this one. I've been fishing Puglisi's for over 10 years. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If I put enough weight. The one In the picture rides on it's side a bit, but the Bass are jumping on it, It looks crippled I guess. I like weight also because I'm fishing out from the bank up to 6 or 8 foot depth on my floating line. If the fly sinks quickly to 3 or 4 foot that's where I want it. Pretty much the same way I like to fish a spinnerbait on conventional gear, regarding depth on Stockton Lake. If I stop it and let it sink after several strips I get a lot of hits that way. Sorry, got off the subject a bit. Yeah, more weight turns the fly over.