Who's the War Eagle rep around here ?

I'm surprised. I thought War Eagle was supposed to be the best spinnerbait around.

Thrown a lot of different brands over the years and I have never had that happen. But to be real honest I have never used a single spinnerbait all that long. They get replaced often. 

I have a notion its in the lead  itself ether in the mix or the pouring temperature. Whatever it is either a cheap off or a production problem.

5 hours ago, Old plug said:

I have a notion its in the lead  itself ether in the mix or the pouring temperature. Whatever it is either a cheap off or a production problem.

Nothing to do with the lead is gonna make the dang hook break.   They are great Spinnerbaits, but I think they need to change hooks.   They need to be a size bigger anyway.  

Were those the Trokar or regular hook baits? Have to think maybe a chemical weakening due to the plating process on the heads. Zman is having something similar with their Ned heads, with hooks breaking where the bait keeper is welded on. 

I'm not a War Eagle guy. Until the last few years they used a sproat style hook that cost me too many fish. Most of mine are home brew, with 4/0 or 5/0 Mustad wide gap hooks. I've yet to have a spinnerbait hook fail like that.

It is the gold plated hook.  A trailer hook won't even save you if the main hook is prone to break.  I took a pair of pliers to another one and it snapped right off too, pretty much in the same place.  They don't break at the bend (like you'd kinda expect) they break down closer to the lead, which has me thinking that the tempering is weird.  

I'd like to test the silver hook ones but I don't want to sit here and just break hooks on brand new Spinnerbaits and scrap them for the blades.   Beginning to think I might as well though. 

not a fan of war eagle, make your own for less with "better" parts

a while back I bought 5. 2 broke on fish,

the barbs rusted away and the wire and heads are loose on the remaining

don't care for the R bend wire form either, I'm a twisted eye guy

In all fairness I should report that my partner and I have been experimenting with Spinnerbaits alot lately and of all the ones we've tried (both bought/modified/and built from scratch) it has become undeniable that the WE just flat catches more fish.  My partner doesn't like them at all but even he is convinced now.  Neither of us has experienced any more hook breakage, and we've even been boat flipping them to TRY and break one.   

The only modification I do to the WE is shorten the spacer between the blades, trim the skirt and add a twin tail trailer.  I like the fact that the heads get loose and wobble, I'm almost completely convinced that the loose head and the thin wire are what makes it a better fish catcher for us right now.

Basically we are just slow-rolling the 1/2oz over 10-12' brush during the day, then fishing a 3/8oz version in the backends after the sun goes down, or if it's cloudy/rainy.  The fish here are definitely turned on by some spinning blades right now, and have been for several weeks.  I feel like we've caught enough decent fish that if there was a genuine hook quality issue we would have broken a few more.....It hasn't happened again.