Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Smalls21

thirsty?

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Sam Adams Oktoberfest on draft.  Can't wait for the St Charles Oktoberfest!  A good Martzen is hard to beat.

SIO3 -- I love the Marzens too. Bought a mixed six the other day and had an excellent Marzen in it. Forgot what it was though. Dang it. Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest is good.

I haven't replied yet because this one is pretty tough for me. I change it up quite a bit over time. These aren't in order so I'm not numbering them:

Guinness on tap or from a can with widget

Martini -- mixed about 5/1 Bombay gin and Noilly Prat vermouth; and this sounds hoity-toity, but I do want it shaken (not stirred) because I want the little ice chips in there; olive garnish

Belhaven Scottish ale -- heavy on the malt and just a wee bit o' hop

Bourbon -- Bulleit if I have to name just one. Working on a bottle of Four Roses that's good too.

Gin and tonic with lime -- great summer drink

...and if I can break with protocol and exceed 5

Cyclist/Radler/Shandy: Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat & Lemonade 50-50 -- great in the summer

Budweiser with a dose of Clamato -- it's the drink that makes you thirsty!

Ayinger Oktoberfest

Bailey's Irish Creme and coffee (Christmas morning favorite)

In the world of wines I like the lighter-bodied, more fruit-forward, less-tannic reds (Pint Noir typically, but OZV Zinfandel is really good) and German-style whites (Reisling, Gurwurtztraminer, if they're NOT too sweet). Chateau St. Michelle (WA) makes good ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK -- I classify my cocktails in three categories:

Before Dinner

  • Samuel Adams Boston Ale (but you cannot buy it anymore because the shelves are full of flavored beers)
  • Schlaflys Dry-Hopped APA
  • Urban Chestnut Zwickel (the 'W' is a 'V')
  • Vodka martini (The vodka does not matter)
  • Margarita according to Jimmy Buffets recipe (no mix) if I am eating Mexican
  • Bloody Mary with V8 if I am lacking electrolytes

With Dinner

  • Dry wine from Missouri (Hermansberger, Cynthianna or Chardonel)
  • One of the beers above if eating barbecue
  • Margaritas with Mexican food

After Dinner

  • Dickell 12-year-old bourbon
  • The best single malt I can afford

I guess I think a lot about alcohol.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Smalls21 said:

maybe i should have asked for a top 20 list?

Boulevard's ginger-lemon Radler is pretty good.

If I'm drinking a martini, it's grey goose extra dirty

I don't ever order dirty, but I'll make them myself sometimes. Friend of mine ordered dirty and this is what she got:

IMG_2307.JPG

Nasty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ness said:

SIO3 -- I love the Marzens too. Bought a mixed six the other day and had an excellent Marzen in it. Forgot what it was though. Dang it. Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest is good.

I haven't replied yet because this one is pretty tough for me. I change it up quite a bit over time. These aren't in order so I'm not numbering them:

Guinness on tap or from a can with widget

Martini -- mixed about 5/1 Bombay gin and Noilly Prat vermouth; and this sounds hoity-toity, but I do want it shaken (not stirred) because I want the little ice chips in there; olive garnish

Belhaven Scottish ale -- heavy on the malt and just a wee bit o' hop

Bourbon -- Bulleit if I have to name just one. Working on a bottle of Four Roses that's good too.

Gin and tonic with lime -- great summer drink

...and if I can break with protocol and exceed 5

Cyclist/Radler/Shandy: Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat & Lemonade 50-50 -- great in the summer

Budweiser with a dose of Clamato -- it's the drink that makes you thirsty!

Ayinger Oktoberfest

Bailey's Irish Creme and coffee (Christmas morning favorite)

In the world of wines I like the lighter-bodied, more fruit-forward, less-tannic reds (Pint Noir typically, but OZV Zinfandel is really good) and German-style whites (Reisling, Gurwurtztraminer, if they're NOT too sweet). Chateau St. Michelle (WA) makes good ones.

This is an excellent list - not my preferences, but excellent.

Beer:

A good porter, preferably a local/microbrew.

Celis Pale Bock, originally an Austin, Texas brew.

Dos Equis with a lime squeeze, for the Tex Mex nights.

Umbrella Drinks:

Cosmopolitan Dark - Half a lime squeezed, one shot Titos Vodka, one shot cranberry juice, shaken with crushed ice and served straight up in a martini glass.

Wines:

Almost any Marlborough sauvigion blanc, but by name try Kim Crawford.

Goats Do Roam, a South African meritage that inexpensively outperforms Cotes du Rhone.

Old vine zinfandel from California. A strong case can be made that the US has become the world leader in Zin.

Shiraz from southern Australia - top of the line Henschke's Hill of Grace

Sipping Whiskey:

Redbreast Irish

Martini:

Your choice of good 90 proof gin (an interesting argument!) mixed 2 to 1 with Cinzano dry vermouth, shaken over crushed ice for 30 seconds, and served over olives or onions (depends on the mood)

After dinner:

Penfolds Grandfather Port (it is a tawny port)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rps said:

 

Old vine zinfandel from California. A strong case can be made that the US has become the world leader in Zin.

Martini:

Your choice of good 90 proof gin (an interesting argument!) mixed 2 to 1 with Cinzano dry vermouth, shaken over crushed ice for 30 seconds, and served over olives or onions (depends on the mood)

The OZV I mentioned is an old vine from Lodi. Should be OVZ, but it's bassackwards. Good stuff and relatively easy to find. 

What no Noilly Prat? You're the one that got me to try it. I like it.  

I see you like a traditional 'wet' martini. I like them a little drier, but it needs the vermouth. They want to pour a little Vermouth in the glass then dump it out.That's a glass of gin, not a martini?

A while back I ordered a martini and the waitress asked, 'What kind of vodka do you want?' I said, 'Gin.' ? You gotta explain it to waitresses these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ness said:

The OZV I mentioned is an old vine from Lodi. Should be OVZ, but it's bassackwards. Good stuff and relatively easy to find. 

What no Noilly Prat? You're the one that got me to try it. I like it.  

I see you like a traditional 'wet' martini. I like them a little drier, but it needs the vermouth. They want to pour a little Vermouth in the glass then dump it out.That's a glass of gin, not a martini?

A while back I ordered a martini and the waitress asked, 'What kind of vodka do you want?' I said, 'Gin.' ? You gotta explain it to waitresses these days. 

I really like the Noilly Prat. Very much. Then recently I watched Breaking Away and shortly after that found a Cinzano vermouth in a store. I had to to try it. It was right down my taste profile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case you get distracted in the booze and wine comments, here is/was dinner.

 

IMG_1461.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.