Big M area 9/19

Quillback

Launched at 0645 and fished until noon.  Fishing seems to be picking up a little, I caught about 20 with 4 keepers.  My biggest fish was 2.5 lbs. and it was the first of the day, caught it on a buzz bait.  That was also my last one on the buzzer.  The rest of my fish came on finesse jigs, FB jigs, and the drop shot.  I  caught several smallies up shallow on gravel on jigs, and one keeper sized LM on a jig shallow.  The others were deeper in the 20-30 foot range off gravel points.  Hooked a nice spot off a dock corner over 50 FOW on the drop shot.  I tell you he was every bit of 3 lbs.  He jumped and tossed the hook.

Had a couple of flukey catches today.  Hung a jig on a rock, it was in there solid, could not shake it out so started moving the boat towards it to get on the other side, got right above where it was snagged, reeled in the slack, lifted it up and a fish was on it, turned out to be a 14" spot.  Was fishing another spot, dragging a jig, heard a fish chasing some shad behind the boat, set the jig rod down with the jig about halfway to the boat so that I could toss a top water at the shad buster (shad buster did not bite).  Anyway reeled in my top water, picked up my iig rod, and something started tugging back.  Turned out to be a 14" smallie. 

I wonder if anyone has been swimming a jig lately?  Got a few bites today when I was retrieving the jig, next time out I might do a little swim jigging.

Water temp was 80.

Thanks for the detailed report, as always. Might get up there myself in the morning. If you go again and beat me there, try not to take the best parking spot. I'm not big on walking any farther than I have to. :lol:

ClassActionTransparent.png

Quill, thanks for the details. Sounds like a solid day. Buzz bait keeper right off the bat sure does get the heart going, eh?

Mike

On 9/19/2016 at 4:24 PM, Quillback said:

Had a couple of flukey catches today.  Hung a jig on a rock, it was in there solid, could not shake it out so started moving the boat towards it to get on the other side, got right above where it was snagged, reeled in the slack, lifted it up and a fish was on it, turned out to be a 14" spot. 

Is that considered trolling or strolling?  hehehe  Couldn't resist.  :P

Donna Gilzow

Bella Vista, Arkansas

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

--John Buchan, 1915