Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
ness

Whatchya Drinking?

Recommended Posts

I don't drink margaritas out much because they give me indigestion, but I do like them. So I got to thinking and reading up on recipes, and decided that it's probably the sweet/sour mix or the pre-made mixes that do it to me because lime juice or limeade don't bother me at all.

My newly-minted 21-year-old twin boys were coming over for dinner last night, so I decided I'd give it a go. Limeade from frozen concentrate, Cuervo and Triple Sec. Lime rubbed on the rim, dipped in Kosher salt, 1-ounce tequila, 1/2-ounce Triple Sec, 1-ounce limeade. The boys thought they were too strong, so I upped it to two ounces limeade for them. On the rocks, not frozen. Nothing spectacular, but pretty good and I didn't have to reach for the Tums. If limes weren't 2-fer-a-buck, I'd maybe try it with fresh lime juice. Shoulda squeezed some in anyway, but didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ness said:

I don't drink margaritas out much because they give me indigestion, but I do like them. So I got to thinking and reading up on recipes, and decided that it's probably the sweet/sour mix or the pre-made mixes that do it to me because lime juice or limeade don't bother me at all.

My newly-minted 21-year-old twin boys were coming over for dinner last night, so I decided I'd give it a go. Limeade from frozen concentrate, Cuervo and Triple Sec. Lime rubbed on the rim, dipped in Kosher salt, 1-ounce tequila, 1/2-ounce Triple Sec, 1-ounce limeade. The boys thought they were too strong, so I upped it to two ounces limeade for them. On the rocks, not frozen. Nothing spectacular, but pretty good and I didn't have to reach for the Tums. If limes weren't 2-fer-a-buck, I'd maybe try it with fresh lime juice. Shoulda squeezed some in anyway, but didn't.

Good Tequila makes all the difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Flysmallie said:

Good Tequila makes all the difference. 

I grabbed Cuervo Gold because this was just an experiment. Not really a tequila connoisseur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like good whiskey, be it bourbon, irish or scotch.  Vodka or gin and grapefruit juice is a staple.  When it comes to Vodka, cheaper is better.  Gin not so much - Tanqueray, Beef Eater or more recently New Amsterdam make the cut.  Occasionally make a margarita.  Don't use triple sec, but do use Cointreau.  I only ever use the white tequila - that gold stuff reminds me of how kerosene smells.  Beer I like the octoberfest styles, Miller Lite and Coors banquet.  When it comes to wine I like chardonnay and old vine zinfandels. I find most cabernets to be too much oak for my taste.  Have been known to own some dessert wines, ports, ice wines, marsala and moscato.

As for what I'm drinking right now, it's a coke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ness said:

I grabbed Cuervo Gold because this was just an experiment. Not really a tequila connoisseur.

Me either really. But 8 or 9 years ago me and a boss spent a lot of time traveling for a couple of months and every place we went we tried to find the best margaritas. It was really just an excuse to drink I think but we had a lot of fun and learned what we liked best. We probably paid some outrageous prices but it was his dime so I did not care.

I favor the blanco tequilas. For margaritas, for shots, it just tastes better to me. And if you get a good one they taste really good. 

Patron and Don Eduardo are good solid versions that you can get anywhere. If you feel the need to spend some money try KAH. It's pricey but delicious. And the bottles are cool too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

I like good whiskey, be it bourbon, irish or scotch.  Vodka or gin and grapefruit juice is a staple.  When it comes to Vodka, cheaper is better.  Gin not so much - Tanqueray, Beef Eater or more recently New Amsterdam make the cut.  Occasionally make a margarita.  Don't use triple sec, but do use Cointreau.  I only ever use the white tequila - that gold stuff reminds me of how kerosene smells.  Beer I like the octoberfest styles, Miller Lite and Coors banquet.  When it comes to wine I like chardonnay and old vine zinfandels. I find most cabernets to be too much oak for my taste.  Have been known to own some dessert wines, ports, ice wines, marsala and moscato.

As for what I'm drinking right now, it's a coke.

Diet Snapple Half & Half at the moment. :D

I think I agree with you on the Vodka -- I've sampled a few I end up going back to McCormick's. Someday I'll buy some Grey Goose, then save the bottle and refill it with McCormick's :D

Gins -- they're all different, and I tend to bounce around.

Agree on the Cabs too -- just too tannic for me. I favor the Pinot Noirs but also have an old vine Zin on my favorites list. Had an excellent Norton from Stonehaus Farms winery in Lee's Summit, MO the other day. Going back for more of that! I avoid Chardonnays because they're usually over-oaked for me, plus I just like Reisling and Gerwurztraminer whites better -- if they're not too sweet.

If you like the Oktoberfests, you might like the KC Bier Company Dunkel I opened this thread with. Not an O, but similar. It's on tap in a ton of bars and restaurants in KC, so it might be down your way by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My new fav wine. 

Yeah if it ain't Boone's Farm, MD 20/20 or this, it ain't fine wine in my book. I guess I'm just not snobbish enough for the nasty flavored kind. Or I still haven't achieved the proper tax bracket to loose enough IQ to think I like other so called wines. Talk about screwing up a perfectly good grape juice!

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Chief Grey Bear said:

My new fav wine. 

Yeah if it ain't Boone's Farm, MD 20/20 or this, it ain't fine wine in my book. I guess I'm just not snobbish enough for the nasty flavored kind. Or I still haven't achieved the proper tax bracket to loose enough IQ to think I like other so called wines. Talk about screwing up a perfectly good grape juice!

 

  Image result for riunite wine

Try this stuff -- it's a good 'gateway' wine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.