Whatchya Drinking?

ness

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, rps said:

For those of you who care to indulge, I have come to love a different combination than I once recommended, an old school martini.

Th original martini used far more vermouth than what you expect now. After I read an article in Serious Eats, I tried the old school style.

2 parts gin or vodka, one part good vermouth (Martini and Rossi, Noily Pratt, Cinzano) and a splash of orange bitters (Fee Brothers or Reagans). Shake the spirits and vermouth hard and strain into your glass. Then splash a dash of the bitters on top.

You won't regret this.

That's a martini.  Lately, it's all about dry martini.

Dry Chivas Rob Roy.  2 oz chivas, 1 oz dry Martini and Rossi, 2 anchovie stuffed olives.  Shake the chivas and vermouth on ice, strain into a cold martini glass and add the two olives on a toothpick.  They have to be anchovie stuffed for the recipe to work.  Any other quality highland scotch will be fine.

So, I did a pick-a-six with all Oktoberfest/Marzen beers — one of my favorite styles. Gonna do a taste test and find a favorite. 

9E9653F4-B22E-4012-B788-76F1BCF0F150.jpeg

Late entrants: 

A0953F16-D571-49EE-ABEE-40CCAECEC4C1.jpeg

Entrants are (l. to r.) Free State (Lawrence, KS), Goose Island (Chicago), Schlafly (StL), Mother’s (Springfield), Bell’s (MI) and Sam Adams. 

Edit: Late entrants are Sierra Nevada, Spaten (Germany, back where it all began) and Boulevard (KC). 

Free State is rated very high, I think #2 for style, on Ratebeer.com. I know Sam Adams is very good. I won’t report each time I drink one, but will post a summary. Read it if you care.

Prost!

John

On 9/22/2018 at 9:33 PM, ness said:

Edit: Late entrants are Sierra Nevada, Spaten (Germany, back where it all began) and Boulevard (KC). 

See original post for exciting new additions!

John