Guiding Debute 10-8-16

Bill Babler

Definitely missed you man!  I think the last time I was able to glean insight from your musings was actually in person when Kathy and I were down at your place for her birthday in late July.  If I remember correctly you were going in for your pre-surgery exam with the doc that day.  Seems like a long time ago for some reason.  Try and keep all them parts lubed up and working correctly from here on out!  Glad your back.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

"The only money ever wasted is money never spent."  Me.

Glad you are back in the saddle Bill!  I'm sure you have missed being on the old girl.  We had similar results with the plopper on Saturday, the fish were lethargically rising on the bait and missing it by a mile.  Slick water and high pressure are not a good mix and we tried to force feed them something they had no real interest in.  I didn't see many gizzard shad in shallow like i normally do this time of year.  This lake will definitely make you scratch a hole in your head at times.

MIll, we had bait all over us.  There are a ton of shore minnows right now and also lots and lots of very small blue gill working the shallows.  Every time the plooper hit the water bait would explode.  We had one case that the lure was jerked away from the fish, but the others the fish just either missed the bait or swirled up behind it.  Beck had the same think happen on Monday.  Between us we were using 6 different color or topwater, so I don't think its the color.  I might try either a chugger or a walking bait on Thursday when I'm back out there.  The Spro Rat may also be the answer and I will toss it.  It is also a wake bait but requires a very slow retrieve.

The fish up tight for me were mostly LM or Jaws, We did catch the one K on the Ned after it missed the WP, and if they are going to miss it a great tip is to have that Ned or perhaps any small soft-plastic ready to throw back in there.  I must admit that I was not totally on my game and should have been ready from the start for that little trick.  We did not throw it back at the big one, and should have.  It did however refresh my memory and we did the next time and caught him.

There is just a load of fish either on the bottom or suspended off the long runnouts and the flats.  They can be fussy or crazy good.  We had them coming at it like a freight train and also had them running from it like Trump from the IRS.  Kind of like Quill did the other day, if you find a school, hang with it and continue to change presentations and baits.  My best deal was a 4 inch Yamamoto brown purple cut tail.  And yes that bait seems to be available again.

Speaking with Bill and a couple of the other guides they are stopping there boats in the 80' range and then start creeping in on the points sometimes they are suspended and sometimes on the bottom.  Biggest concentrations have been from 50' into about 28'

Good Luck out there.