This past weekend (white river)

Brennan

• Members

Fished a few days this past weekend and caught quite a few. Caught pretty much everything off one location...4 trips in a row. Fished an outside bend main lake point about a mile or so above the mouth of the Kings with topwater early in the morning. The fish would move in and out of the shallow side feeding on small shad. Plenty surfacing out in the main channel as well. Honestly, they were just here and there...and everywhere around this timbered point. Tried to force the topwater bite but had most success swimming a grub through the surfacing fish. As the sun came up, caught plenty more on a small jigging spoon of the Cabelas variety. Had my 8 year old son with me and he caught his first "solo" fishies (he cast, he reeled, he set the hook...). He had a blast, and for the first time, asked to get up early and do it again the next day...and the next. Saw and caught fish on the graph from 15 - 50+ feet. My son said it was "cooler than playing Minecraft," so a small victory there. 

Tried to make the shallow bite work but just couldn't get it going. 

Thanks to everyone for all the reports. 

IMG_2086.PNG

IMG_2087.PNG

IMG_2088.PNG

• Members

Bill, I did read your report right before posting. I found your description to match what I was doing exactly.

I fished a point that you showed me a few years ago when you guided me in June. I've caught so many fish in that area of the lake just based on what I learned from one morning with you. 

I had that trip arranged with you a few years ago as a present to my Dad, but he wasn't able to come along with us. He  was not well at the time, reaching the end of a long battle with a terminal illness. He rallied for a short while that September, and I brought him down for his last trip. We went straight to some of the best spots you showed me, and I'll say, he had the time of his life. We caught and released probably 50 bass that morning. 

I always stop on that spot...and always catch at least one. 

Its a place I take my son, and we talk about his PaPa. 

Guys, take a trip with Bill if you can. The memories may just last a lifetime. 

Attaching a picture from taken from that spot...

Thanks again.

IMG_2042.JPG

Wow. Many stories within those posts. Thanks for sharing. 

Mike

19 hours ago, Brennan said:

Bill, I did read your report right before posting. I found your description to match what I was doing exactly.

I fished a point that you showed me a few years ago when you guided me in June. I've caught so many fish in that area of the lake just based on what I learned from one morning with you. 

I had that trip arranged with you a few years ago as a present to my Dad, but he wasn't able to come along with us. He  was not well at the time, reaching the end of a long battle with a terminal illness. He rallied for a short while that September, and I brought him down for his last trip. We went straight to some of the best spots you showed me, and I'll say, he had the time of his life. We caught and released probably 50 bass that morning. 

I always stop on that spot...and always catch at least one. 

Its a place I take my son, and we talk about his PaPa. 

Guys, take a trip with Bill if you can. The memories may just last a lifetime. 

Attaching a picture from taken from that spot...

Thanks again.

IMG_2042.JPG

Great stuff.  If you don't mind, I think I'll just add you to my hero list!

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

"The only money ever wasted is money never spent."  Me.

great job!  and, it sure sounds like you just might have a full time fishing partner!  great job of knowing what you are looking at on your electronics and then figuring out how to catch them.

we used to do this very thing using nothing more than a flasher.  the newer electronics makes it much easier to interpret than all those small red specks coming and going on the flasher dial.  but a good flasher will show you everything the graphs are.  yep, the younger generation liken it to playing a video game and for those that seem to have a need to be able to watch their lures, it is a great aid for them.

again, great fishing trip, and the really best part is the time spent with your grandson!

bo

• Members

Bo, my dad used to tell me about using a flasher back in the day. He learned bass fishing in the 60s and 70s, fishing oxbow lakes off the Mississippi out of a 14ft flat bottom boat. He would rent a small outboard motor each trip because he didn't have the money to buy one. He did save up and buy a flasher and said it was a game changer for him. It was mostly shallow water power fishing stuff (big purple worm, devil's horse, big O, big yellow spinnerbaits), but he said it was amazing to find channel drops and actually have a better idea of the contour of the bottom. When we started using the modern stuff 10-15 years ago it really opened our eyes to what's down there. Putting into practice the stuff I've learned on this site has really changed my fishing. When we first started fishing the Ozark lakes, it took us a while to get away from the bank. Once we figured out how many fish were behind us, our catching increased 10 fold. 

Good luck. 

Brennan,  congratulations with your 8 year old.  You will be shocked at how quickly he will excel from here.  My 11-year-old and I fished for two days this past weekend and we had two very good days catching, but more importantly, spending quality time learning and talking about life in general.  Keep them close and good things will happen.  Congrats again.

Lowrance flasher! then to X15b???? paper graph felt like we had went to the moon and back with the new "technology" back then.  The paper graph was in a large "box" and if memory serves, you had to be careful replacing the paper as not to mess up the arm.