Fishing Thanksgiving week

M_Taylor

Hello guys, 

well im making the pilgrimage to the in-laws tomorrow night and staying until Sunday. They live on the main lake close to Linn Creek. 

I'm probably going to bring my boat if anyone gives me an excuse to do so. I'll happily report any success or failures I have afterwards. 

Been seeing some of the whites being caught and didn't know if there is any of that where I'll be. I'll also fish for bass. I'm hoping for some direction on where the bass are this time of year. Not specific spots, but are you catching them on moving baits or not. And focusing on creek arms or more mainlake stuff? I appreciate any guidance. I won't be fishing all day every day as most will understand, but if I have a few hours and the weather is decent I'd love to catch a few fish. Thanks for any help. 

If you like to catch white bass go to back of coves and if there is shad they will be there. As far as the black bass put trolling motor on high and cover water with a top water. You can catch some nice Kentucky bass on main lake points and corners of docks with whopper plopper as well. Was out last night in linn creek area and had 3 big blow ups on buzz bait which were bigguns, should have put a trailer hook on. You say go out if weather is decent, I would say go out if it is nasty and windy ? as they bite a lot better. This pict is from the back of a cove I have been catching whites from.

IMG_4711.JPG

I wish I was heading down Wednesday but due to my wife's work schedule we won't be down until noon on Friday. I'm not much help on the whites, but for the bass I will be doing exactly what WeekendWarrior said... Put my head down and cover water. Big black rocks on or near the mainlake. Will throw the buzzbait and whopper plopper mostly. Will also try a spinnerbait and crankbait. I have a few new swimbaits that I may give a try as well as those bass are up feeding on big gizzard shad around those rocks. If I can't get bit doing that then I'll try skipping a jig behind docks or dragging a jig on some channel banks.

I seem to do better for the whites on chunk rock windy points. Gonna have to try the backs of the  coves again, haven't had much luck with that in the past. Bring the boat and enjoy the lake. The weather is looking good and it's the best time of the year for LOZ. I'm going Wed and maybe again Fri.

Earl Stuart

fishin is livin

Thank you to all. And anyone else who adds their input too. Sounds like a no brainer now. Let the record show, I like my in-laws. I just can't drink and eat heavily for four days straight . :) 

I will be out in an aluminum Ranger-Yamaha with a 90lb yellow lab. Swing by and introduce yourself if you are out and we cross paths. 

Now I need to catch fish so I have something to report. 

I must have been in the wrong area or not doing something right. I had one white bass and one LM on topwater and couldn't get anything else going for a long time. Lost a nice one from under a dock too. Got cold and windy didn't it? 

You said you were in linn creek area, did you try the back of linn creek? I have not been back there but I would think the whites should be back there somewhere. As for the black bass put your boat up against the bank and parallel the bank with a topwater and cover water, it is feast or famine. We were doing good with the whites throwing a Little Cleo spoon in 1/8 oz blue/silver. 

I went into the back of linn creek and it was covered in birds, and shad. By the time I was back there it was cold and windy, so I trolled a Flickr shad around for a while and got a drum. Lol 

as for bass, I had on a white or black buzzbait and tried to cover water. The bass was off a lay down I got on the buzzbait. No hits around docks and I had a hard time finding many laydowns to try and get a pattern on. 

Maybe the structure you were fishing is wrong. Find steep channel banks and fish them docks or no docks. work everything along that bank that is unusual unusual, constitutes a break in bank line or is protruding from the water along that bank. Small or large. Last week believe it are not I caught a keeper off a   1" water pickup  pipe hangimg down in the water, off the bank and came  back the next day and done it again.