Taneycomo Crappie

Phil Lilley

• Root Admin

I've caught more crappie on Taneycomo this year and last than any other lake around. Have they always been there and I just havn't been aware of it (too lazy to look for them) or is this something new? I don't think it's new at all.

Taney has always been a great bass lake. Also good for blue gill. Taney has had great hatches for all kinds of warm water species the last few years it seems. I'm catching tons of small bass and crappie every trip.

Where? From Branson down in creeks and on the main lake. Looking for the same structure you'd find crappie on other lakes, brush and trees near deep water. Water temp hasn't made a great deal of difference either. It's been cold water and they still bite good. Yesterday they were closer to the brush than they have been- I guess because of the cold front.

Taneycomo has no size limits on bass or crappie and the limits are the regular state limits- 6 bass and 30 crappie. I've kept a few 9 inch crappie early in the season but I've been pickier lately, keeping only 10-11 inchers.

In the last few days we've seen whites mixed in with the crappie, most are yearlings measuring only 4-5 inches long but some have been males and sows to about 2 pounds.

It's hard not heading to my regular spots in Long and Cricket Creeks, Bridgeport and over to Bull Shoals and Beaver and K-Dock area... knowing what I have here on Taney but I'll go anyhow... later when it gets going better.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

Cool. Good fishing for Crappie and Gills would make it difficult for a person to keep his mind on trout. Catching any Walleye?

I would rather be fishin'.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

I havent heard of walleye caught since late Feb. when they were generating water hard (4 units all day).. and it was the start of the shad kill... Caught between chute 1 and the cable...

But to "rephase" your question a little

Is there walleyes in Taneycomo... YES!!! but finding them would be the trick

Ive even caught one up by the dam before..

Leonard

It seems like Taney would be a good walleye lake. If there are many in there it looks like they would do a lot of reproducing.

I would like to get into some of those crappie Phil is talking about.

I would rather be fishin'.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759