Northern Pike on the Osage

• Members

Pike, the freshwater Barracuda. Those things are nothing but pure testosterone. I hate catching those slimy toothy critters up in Canada. I caught my one trophy and got my picture now I'm done fishing for them lol. Never fails every trip up to Canada someone always gets hurt by one of those "little snakes". Last trip someone got a hook embedded in their palm when the fish shook while trying to remove a hook, and the trip before that someone got raked by the teeth when the slimy booger slipped out of their hands. 

• 3 weeks later...

The MDC also stocked them in at least one smaller North Missouri lake when I was a kid in the 1960s--Hunnewell, maybe? I don't remember.

After the two big floods in the 1990s, there were several NP caught from washout pits along the Missouri River near Boonville and Columbia. At least one of them weighed 6 or 8 pounds, so I doubt that it was a chain pickerel.

You don't have to go far up the Missouri River above the Iowa line to find a fishable population of NP. And you can buy NP at at least one commercial fish hatchery in North Missouri. I know of a couple of ponds in Boone County that have northerns stocked in them. I'm sure that some of those fish ended up in Perche Creek and the Missouri River after flooding, over the years.

1 hour ago, fishinwrench said:

Hunnewell supposedly had Musky in it when I was a kid, we fished it quite a bit but I never saw one.   I got savagely attacked by a mother goose there though and broke a Lew's speed stick trying to get away from her.  

I bet that would have been hilarious to see!  

I looked it up. According to a story in the the April 1968 Missouri Conservationist, the MDC stocked 200 adult NP in Deer Ridge Lake in Lewis County, and in Miller Community Lake in Carter County, in March 1966. The NP weighed from 4 to 18 pounds apiece and came from a hatchery in Iowa. The MDC also stocked Thomas Hill in 1966 and '67, with a few million NP fry and fingerlings. I never got to fish at Deer Ridge or Miller, but I fondly remember catching NP at Thomas Hill when the lake was new, and at Stockton in the early 1970s.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I know this is a super old topic, but I finally managed to catch a pike in the Osage!! I couldnt believe it when I saw him in the water! Not very big but still very cool to see in the Osage. Caught him November 5th 2020 trolling a firetiger jointed flicker shad.

20201105_155501.jpg

• 4 months later...