"Fly Fishing America" Program Note

Aeronikl

I don't know who else watches this show, but the premier episode each week is Friday nights at 9 pm on VS network (used to be OLN network)and is repeated several times during the week. It is channel 608 on DTV...anyway, this week's episode is night fishing for big browns on the Little Red tailwater. A very "experienced" fisherman and a local Arkansan guide scout the river by fishing during the day and return to fish at night, trying to catch a new record brown. I'm sure some of you will know/recognize the guys and they might even be on the Forum, but it was an interesting show, especially since it was about a local resource. I know it was filmed in the fall, probably last year. Leonard - and the rest of you I've fished with after midnight, it made me homesick for October at Taneycomo. It's just coming up spring, and I'm already dreaming of fall! Watch the show if you can, I won't give away the ending here.

I watched it last night. Now I see why Leonard fishes at night. Here I thought he was a vampire or something. Now I see it's so he can catch all the ones everyone else breaks off during the day.

I was surprised to hear they use that heavy of a line, but I guess if you re looking for 20 pound fish, you have to.

Great Show

Yes, I'm That Guy

I caught that show too. It was interesting and informative. It made me want to make a trip to the little red - I've never been there. It looks like a beautiful tailwater.

That show/channel was dropped from my satellite provider (the Dish) for a while and just came back. I'm really glad as there are not many shows on fly fishing and that one is really well done in my opinion. I caught the one today as well. It was on the San Juan. Made me want to go there as well.

Greg

"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it" - Koos Brandt

Greg Mitchell

For anyone who does not know...

The "fisherman" in question was none other than Joe Humphreys. If you don't know who Joe is, you haven't been fly fishing much... :lol: Joe taught fly fishing at Penn State and holds the Pennsylvania state record for brown trout... He is the author of several books on fly fishing and is a great guy just to be around. You can learn something just by osmosis it seems...

HOWEVER, Joe has never caught a 20 lb Brown. That's his goal in life now. The guide on the show as John Wilson. There were TWO episodes filmed, one in the fall of '04 and the one shown last night was filmed in the fall of '05. I met Joe at the Conclave that year and he was excited about coming back in a couple of weeks to fish with John and film the show and have another shot at the 20 lb.er.... I think John wants him to catch one more than HE wants to catch one.... :lol:

By the way, if you missed it... Joe DID hook a big fish and the story as told by John is that they had told the camera guys to keep the lights off as long as possible to keep from spooking the fish. Anyway, Joe hooked the big one, fought him for a while, then the camera lights came on. John saw the fish in the lights, and in the show that's when you hear John say "OH -BEEP-!!!!" (I saw John today at the Sowbug he had to relive my ribbing him about cursing on national TV.... :lol: ) One of the reasons the fish broke off was probably the camera lights, but that's the chance you take when doing a video for a TV show like that.

Anyway, the fish was definately a 20 lb... more like 30. I'm sure Joe will be back to try again. I just hope John Barrett will chance another show... if they are even filming them anymore. Most you see now are reruns....

By the way... I have both episodes recorded. The first on DVD and the second on VHS. The first episode is a good one because Darrell Bowman (AGFC Biologist) talks about the White River system and some of the history. AND you get to see the mount of Rip Collins' 40 lb 4 oz Brown from the Little Red. No 20 plus lb.er in that one, but JW misses a big Brown with the net...

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process." - Paul O’Neil

Terry, can you burn me a copy of the CD? I'd like to do some edited clips for my MySpace site. If you could give it to me at the next SMFF meeting, that would be awesome, buddy. I saw both episodes on TV when they originally aired. Good stuff. I especially liked the one with Darrell Bowman's inserts.

SilverMallard

"How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of - and which no other people on Earth enjoy."

Thomas Jefferson

(This disclaimer is to state that any posts of a questionable nature are to be interpreted by the reader at their own peril. The writer of this post in no way supports the claims made in this post, or takes resposibility for their interpretations or uses. It is at the discretion of the reader to wrestle through issues of sarcasm, condescension, snobbery, lunacy, left and or right wing conspiracies, lying, cheating, wisdom, enlightenment, or any form of subterfuge contained herein.)

There was a small segment om Shep Hills hatchery and Taneycomo on Backroads (VS)channel last week also. Did anyone see it? It was a short part and I only caught the end.

TRACY FRENZEL

FRENZELS GUIDE SERVICE

417-699-2277

"ONE MORE CAST"

I've seen segments on SoH and Taney before, but missed that one.

SilverMallard

"How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of - and which no other people on Earth enjoy."

Thomas Jefferson

(This disclaimer is to state that any posts of a questionable nature are to be interpreted by the reader at their own peril. The writer of this post in no way supports the claims made in this post, or takes resposibility for their interpretations or uses. It is at the discretion of the reader to wrestle through issues of sarcasm, condescension, snobbery, lunacy, left and or right wing conspiracies, lying, cheating, wisdom, enlightenment, or any form of subterfuge contained herein.)

Ken,

I'll see what I can do. Of course, my cousin has a media business in Springfield, so it's a matter of giving her the DVD and video and getting it burned... :lol:

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process." - Paul O’Neil

I tivo every episode of Fly Fishing America and enjoy them greatly. There is always a little tidbit of information to learn from, sometimes not explicitly stated. That specific episode motivated me into my first night Taney trip last fall. It was a very fun experience and one I will repeat every opportunity.

Here is my fishing report from my first night trip:

Night fishing trip report

One thing about that episode that has me puzzled:

Did you notice the chest pack that Joe Humphreys was wearing through most of the episode? That thing looks like it came from some cheap scifi flick. It appears to be solid steel. I realize we all get comfortable with something that works, but isnt there some lighter more comfortable alternative?

-Jerod

I noticed the metal case he was wearing too. It looked strange, but it must work for him. I use a vest at night. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been fishing long enough to have more than one vest, so I keep one just for night fishing. Things I only use at night are kept in it and the few items that do double duty, like certain fly boxes, license container, cell phone, camera are stuffed in before I go. It is easier for me to have a small assortment of the cheaper, normal items, floats (lighted/unlighted)or shot, etc., in the night vest than to keep taking things out of the other. I try to keep it lean and light, since there are enough safety related items to carry, like extra batteries and back up lights. I also have a larger net attached to it, for obvious reasons.