Maramec Springs !/24/17

bkbying89

Fished the Spring from early till around 12:30. Fishing was pretty good though it was cold at the start. Ice freezing in the tip guide cold. I did ok on soft hackles and others fished Cracklebacks. Everything had to be close to the surface or they ignored it. Sorry, no pictures.

Sweet, I've been meaning to get down there during c&r but haven't made it this winter yet. One of these next few weeks I'll make it down there. Good size to them? And any Brown's or other species altogether play as well? Also can someone tell me when is the last day of winter c&r again?

Harris122, the sizes on the soft hackles I used were 14 and 16, standard colors, The Cracklebachs went 16 and 12. The talk around the big hole was that there are some browns in there but none were taken while I was there. There are a lot of fish in the water there but I haven't gotten bit anywhere else in the park. The C&R ends Feb. 13. 

• 2 weeks later...

I made it out there Monday, after a quick attempt at wade fishing at Sand Ford Access by Meramec Caverns. I got there around 1, and since I was already behind on things, I just fished with little single hook roostertails that qualify as flies. Only caught 1 stocker size rainbow. Had a few more bites, but none of them remained hooked past the initial bite. Later on I caught a little sunfish too. After the park closed, I drove over to the red ribbon area access by highway 8, and waded somewhat upstream and downstream there for another hour and a half. I got a bite from something that looked decent near a laydown, but I have no clue what kind of fish it was. It got off pretty soon after biting. After that I had a little shiner, barely twice the size of the roostertail hook itself. Started out ok, but the few fish that did come in just kept getting smaller and smaller.

I was down at Maramec Springs Monday and while some did well I didn't fair as well with one fish to hand and several lost. I have been having trouble keeping fish hooked up lately. The one I netted was on a San Juan worm and the others were on a size 18 pheasant tail. It was a decent enough but frustrating day. The fish up near the Hwy 8 bridge could have been anything possibly a Brown.

Bill