Sample Kansas City Star Table Rock Fishing Report

Bill Babler

1 hour ago, Smithvillesteve said:

Excellent report Mr. Babler. Let me ask you this. The KC Star will not report all of that info. Why? Too long for them? As a reader of the KC Star and an avid fishing report reader on Thursdays I wish they would report all of that info!!!! Anyway, I hope you will report as detailed a fishing report on here every week!! Is that asking too much?:)

Yep, as another subscriber, the Star's reports are pretty lame. At least since Brent Frazee left anyways. Too bad, too, I used to look forward to the Sunday features. 

Not sure who's filling in but it's lacking for sure at the moment at least. 

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

"The only money ever wasted is money never spent."  Me.

Vernon and Steve, you are exactly right.  The report is not an email report, it is a phone report.  Brent retired and Mike Blair did also. Neither one of them wanted to but was told they had to.  You all might not know this but Mike did the weekly fishing reports under Brent's byline.  Brent did the feature stuff on Thursday and Sunday in greater depth, always with lots of local flavor.  I considered not doing it anymore when Brent and Mike were canned but to promote the area and try and give folks as someone said a good, educated starting point I'm still at it.  They pretty much pick and choose what I give them over the phone for print.  It is a very limited space. 

I should have current weekly knowledge from now forward and will try and keep it coming with complete accuracy to the best of my knowledge from either myself or from dedicated guides and fishermen in the area, with lots of our best coming from this very forum.  I like immediate patterns and what is happening, not yearly predictions or what should be going on, I will tell only what IS going on as it happens.  Honesty and accuracy is really everything.

Thank you all for your input and its my pleasure to continue to provide any current fishing information that I can put together. 

Good Luck

Does not go out under my name or byline.  It does say provided by White River Lodge, but I'm not mentioned by either my name or White River Outfitters Guide Service.

That is not why I do it.

Folks should be able to come here and have an idea how to catch fish.  If they want a guide I appreciate that and am in business for it, but they have to find me the old fashion way, the internet.

Bill,

From the days when I did publicity for the rugby clubs I coached, I discovered that if you gave the reporter a written digital file, they were highly likely to cut and paste your report. I am not saying reporters are lazy, but ... well, they find it easier to file their reports.

Bill, as a career sports/outdoors writer for newspapers including the Arkansas Gazette (later the Democrat-Gazette), Pensacola News-Journal and Hot Springs Sentinel Record, I can assure you that Brent/Mike were beyond appreciative of your information. Sources like you make the newspaper's job so much easier.

My fishing report locations ranged anywhere from 10 to 25 lakes/rivers, and most of my contacts were dock/fish camp owners who were wonderful people ... salt of the earth ... but it was like pulling wisdom teeth every week to get enough info to publish a worthwhile report.

ClassActionTransparent.png