Question for the infamous wrench

Lvn2Fish

First off I wanted to say thanks you for letting us in on your knowledge of marine mechanicing!  Don't feel like you have to answer any of this, but I'm going crazy right now with the thought that I may have blown up my motor. And need some sort of professional input for peace of mind until Monday when I can get this fixed 

2006 Mercury opti max 150

I hit a freaking cruiser wave today at LOZ. Long story short my motor automatically would not respond , I slowed to approx 24 mph when I hit it,  immediately lost response when trying to speed back up. Only could go 24 mph for the rest of the ride. I took the cowling off and had someone throttle up with the controls at the console. (After spinning prop into gear of course) The throttle position plate wouldn't go much past this position. Am I safe to assume there is either an obstruction at the console, or the cable somehow lengthened making full throttle now about 1/3 ?

This is a screen shot from a YouTube video not my actual motor

IMG_0226.PNG

Guess I could have used a better word . Maybe stretched lol I'm obviously no mechanic . After I hit this stinking wave it felt as if the throttle at the console would only go about 1/3 of what it should . Really trying to find a way to diagnose if it's something to do with the cable or shift control . When it's in gear and not running I should be able to use shift/throttle at console to get WOT correct? 

How far out are you ? I need someone to look at it. I have the BFL next weekend hoping I dont 

have to cancel 

25 minutes ago, Lvn2Fish said:

Guess I could have used a better word . Maybe stretched lol I'm obviously no mechanic . After I hit this stinking wave it felt as if the throttle at the console would only go about 1/3 of what it should . Really trying to find a way to diagnose if it's something to do with the cable or shift control . When it's in gear and not running I should be able to use shift/throttle at console to get WOT correct? 

How far out are you ? I need someone to look at it. I have the BFL next weekend hoping I dont 

have to cancel 

Yes it should go all the way to full throttle if it is in gear.   Sounds like it might be a control box or throttle linkage issue.    If you wanna swing it by I'll figure it out.  IMG_20170212_154837.jpg

18 hours ago, Ketchup said:

You have a business card, an email, AND a FB business account? When do you have time to fish?  

Your in good hands Lvn2Fsh

Ketchup believe me when he was younger he would find time no matter what the cost. There was a time when nothing and i mean hothing wouldI keep him from fishing. I remember a post he made on here saying " if you want to get really good at this bass fishing you will have to eat,sleep,and live it 24. hrs a day" That is a pretty good  discription right there of him. Now that he is older he does not place it a the absolute too ofchis priorities . He also has a hell of a fine family now that really means a lot to him. Not to mention that he is hot getting any younger. 

I wish I could have done that. But I was stick in St Louis area earning a living. Im just grateful that I qhave had the last 25 yrs here on the lake to act like that at least when myvother yalf does not putvher foot down.